The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

St John Ambulance badge

Muerrisch

RAMC soldiers were permitted to wear the St John qualification badge. There is one on the forum of a soldier wearing a Red Cross as a cap badge, the St John, and the sergeant major crown.

I would be most grateful for more illustrations showing the badge ....... I had several and cannot find them.

I too was surprised that there seems to have been some kind of military division of the St John’s Ambulance during WW1 and that they wore both SD and some element of standard military ranking, although I do not know the latter’s extent.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you very much yes, but also the converse: an enlisted RAMC soldier with St John badge on arm.

Sorry Muerrisch
I have just read your comment after posting the photos
Sepoy

Hi

I also have a postcard somewhere of RAMC in service dress with a St Johns badge on his sleeve.

3 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you very much yes, but also the converse: an enlisted RAMC soldier with St John badge on arm.

Ah, sorry, didn't read the OP properly! RAMC with st John's badge, hmmm, interesting.

Chris

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

image.png.e365a1b2757b0d0878b27f60534abb1c.png

Fascinating 

What is on the shoulder title, looks like 1 something?

Chris 

22 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Please?

3 shoe boxes of cards later887B0D75-38AA-466A-ACBC-4ED56DA0D06E.jpeg.cfa4bdace46f4c7fc16167936ce96270.jpeg

5 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Fascinating 

What is on the shoulder title, looks like 1 something?

Chris 

probably 1/SJAB

15 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

probably 1/SJAB

Thank you for that, are there any other  metal titles out there to do with St John's?

Fascinating, well I think so ha ha

Cheers 

Chris  

Here are some examples, they ascend numerically at least as far as 8, but I don’t know how many sections there were in total.

21C54F6F-9F1B-49BE-989C-F216DCF4DE5F.jpeg

1B3D3945-22DC-4C97-8ABE-0C0C206BBFCE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Here are some examples, they ascend numerically at least as far as 8, but I don’t know how many sections there were in total.

Excellent FROGSMILE, thank you for the information👍

Chris 

• 1 year later...

Hi, Does anyone know what was needed to be awarded this badge, is the overseas bit right in this description? Or where records are kept as all have a number on back?

Regards

47451A45-8417-4A33-A468-477415969E4B.png

I’m not sure it was necessarily just issued for overseas service.  It relates to the jointly created Voluntary Aid Detachments (VAD) formed by the British Red Cross (BRC) and the Order of St John of Jerusalem.   The BRC wore dark blue uniforms and the St John black uniforms.  The VAD nurses themselves pale blue and grey shifts (respectively) with long white aprons.  The BRC were administered in regional detachments usually based on Counties and Cities, and medallions of this kind were worn by those who came from those areas as items of regional affiliation and identity.  As the VAD served both at home (largely) and in France and Flanders (to a lesser degree and scale) then it seems very unlikely to me that they were for “overseas service” only, although I am not 100% positive of that.  I suspect that they were probably for “war service” as a whole.  The serial numbers probably due to a register of ‘veterans’ of the VAD.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 4 weeks later...