The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpl Bertie Henry CRICK s.n 9362, 7th South Staffs

Markr

On 29/05/2018 at 20:48, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Phil,

You are more than welcome to anything I post to use as you wish.

Do you have any photos of Bertie at all  ?

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Just wondering if any photo's of Bertie CRICK have come to light since we last spoke. I have tried several WW1 photo researchers websites and will  advise if anything comes along. I want to thank you for all your past research you conducted on Bertie as it was amazing.

Just in case you did not know,  I spent yesterday in the Walsall Archives and discovered that the Walsall Observer produced an 'Almanack ' of photographs of Walsall soldiers killed in action, and there is one for 1916, which may help your research in the future. This is held by the Willenhall

History Society. My question, did the Walsall Observer or the Pioneer publish one for 1917/18?

It would be most interesting indeed. It maybe that the relatives had to pay to insert a photograph , which may have proved difficult at the time.

I did come across a b/w photo entitled   ' South Staffords  shaving a wounded Belgium at Lichfield Barracks  27.10.14 if anyone is interested.

Best wishes, Markr

IMGP0219.JPG

Hello,  Is there a website for the Ypres photo archive please.  Sorry, for the delay.  Markr

Hello,

I'm looking for a photo of my grandad Bertie Henry Crick of the 7th South Staffs Regiment who was killed

in action on 17th July 1917 and was buried at St Jan M. C, Ypres, Belgium.  I understand his photo may have

been taken in Ypres as there are over 4,000 such photos in the photo archives there. Unfortunately, I do not

know where, so decided to post an ad in the ' Wants Section '  in the hope that there maybe an enthusiast out

there with better knowledge than I on the subject.  Thank you for reading this and I hope someone out there

can help me with my quest.  I did discover that in 1916 that the Walsall Observer did what they call an 

'Almanack' of photographs of local people, soldiers who were killed in action, which is available, however, I have

been unable to find one for either 1817 oe 1918, yet?   Hope some Walsallian might try to help me .

Kind regards,   Markr

PS I enclose a picture for your interest which may be useful. I know not the names, which is a shame as they

also may have been killed in action too. It seems a great pity that past records have been lost and families

moved, and times were difficult, much like today.  Any advice would be very welcomed.  Thank you.

7th SSpR.png

• Admin

Mark, I understand your desperation to obtain a photo, but multiple posts on the same subject cause confusion and repetition of replies. I’ve merged this with the previous (merged ) thread. 

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Mark, I understand your desperation to obtain a photo, but multiple posts on the same subject cause confusion and repetition of replies. I’ve merged this with the previous (merged ) thread. 

Hi Michele,  Thank you for your help in trying to sort out the timeline. I do appreciate your help. Markr

• 1 year later...
On 12/05/2023 at 09:42, Michelle Young said:

So sorry for the obsession with Cpl Bertie Crick my grandfather .  Hope to avoid any confusion in the future but the time has become

critical. Tempus Fugit , unfortunately. The 4,200 who never returned home, a sobering thought and have learned nothing.

CRICK Bertie full 27-08-2023.JPG

Wolverhampton Roll of Honour.jpg