Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt M Draper

Andrew P

I've been going through the East Fremantle Municipal Honour Roll and one of the names is of M Draper. It is noted that he died in the war.

The problem is, there is no M Draper recorded as dying in the Australian forces and the only M Draper who died that I could find belonged to the RFC.

2nd Lt MD Draper - RFC - Died 07/02/1917 Alfreton St Martin Churchyard Derbyshire.

That's the only info that CWGC had on him, no home addrress, no squadron etc. Does anyone have any extra info on this man?

I'm hoping to find out whether or not this is the man who the East Freo municipal roll referred to.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

2Lt Mark Denman Draper of No 2 Reserve Squadron RFC (formerly 28th Battalion, The London Regiment) was killed in an accident with Capt Eric Thomas Farrow (formerly 15th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment) while flying Maurice Farman Shorthorn A4102 on 7 February 1917, aged 32.

Airmen Died has 2Lt Draper as a native of Alfreton, Derbyshire. Could he have lived in WA before the War?

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Thanks for that. I'm wondering whether he did live in WA at some time before the war or if one of his relations was living here and had him put on the honour roll.

I think I may have to do more digging on this one.

Cheers

Andrew

Looking at the census information available, in 1901, Mark Denham Draper was aged 16 and a “boarder” at school in Repton, Derbyshire.

In 1891 when he was 6, he lived at 3 Abbey Gardens, Shrewsbury with his father William, a vicar, and mother Emilie.

So if he went to Australia, it must have been after he left school.

Steve

Andrew

Second-Lieutenant Draper aged 32 was the eldest son of the Rev. William Henry Draper, Rector of Adel near Leeds and Grandson of Justice Denman. He was educated at Repton School and took up the dramatic profession in which he had begun to make his way. In 1915 he joined the Artists Rifles and obtained a commission in the R.F.C shortly before his death

Taken from R.F.C Casualties and Honours During the War of 1914-17 published August 1917

Regards Doug.

Thanks Steve & Doug

That gave me some more info to work on. I checked the immigration to WA records at the library but there is no record of a M Draper coming to WA between 1901 - 1914. I guess it doesn't totally rule out his being in WA at some time, but it seems to makes it less likely.

The mystery & digging to continue..............

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Would there be a WA record of immigration if he had arrived in another State and then moved about? I suppose that, unless he was particularly keen on the outdoor life and came overland, he'd have to arrive in the West by ship, perhaps from the Eastern States.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth

I'm a bit new to these immigration records but it seems that passengers on ships arriving at Fremantle from England were recorded even if they went on to another state. Plus passengers on ships coming from the eastern states were also recorded.

Though if a ship bypassed WA and went straight to the east coast, and he then came overland I guess it would still be possible? I will also have to check whether these records include people getting off ship at Albany as he could have arrived via Albany as that was a large port back at that time.

Cheers

Andrew

• 1 year later...
Hi Gareth

I'm a bit new to these immigration records but it seems that passengers on ships arriving at Fremantle from England were recorded even if they went on to another state. Plus passengers on ships coming from the eastern states were also recorded.

Though if a ship bypassed WA and went straight to the east coast, and he then came overland I guess it would still be possible? I will also have to check whether these records include people getting off ship at Albany as he could have arrived via Albany as that was a large port back at that time.

Cheers

Andrew

Sorry to butt in at such a late stage in your very interesting communications concerning M D Draper, but a bit of late news may be useful, and as I'm a very recent to the Great War Forum, forgive me if I'm somewhat out of order.

Mark Denman Draper was a Freemason, who joined Drury Lane Lodge, No. 2127, London on 8th February 1916, and was certainly still about, in London on 11th April 1916. He was said to have been an Actor Manager, and for some reason his address was given as "E" Company, Artist Rifles. He is commemorated in the Roll of Honour situated in Grand Lodge in London.

Not much, but I hope it helps

Cuthbertp

Didn't a number of "new" Aussies return to fight with BEF when war was declared? i have come across several such cases.

Robbie

Hi Robbie

There were a number of Australians who went to serve in the BEF rather than the AIF.

Some of these were the Imperial Reservists who had recently arrived to settle in Australia pre 1914. I have a list of them who left Australia but unfortunately Draper's name isn't among them.

Cheers

Andrew

• 5 years later...

With reference to Mark Denman DRAPER.

He was the son of Reverend William Henry DRAPER and his first wife Charlotte Edith DENMAN.

He was born (15th December 1884) in Alfreton, Derbyshire and baptised by his father at the church.

Mark DENMAN DRAPER - aka Marcus.

His mother died shortly after his birth - she was the daughter of The Honourable George Denman QC.

After his death Mark was buried in a grave beside that of his mother in Alfreton - I have photo's that I'll attempt to find. I also have the local newspaper report of both funerals.

He spent some time in Scotland around 1910 where he married Gladys Irene PURNELL.

He is commemorated on several War Memorials - Alfreton / The Green Room Club Memorial / Masonic Great War Project (info. on this website).

At the time of his death his father and family were at Adel, Yorkshire and he appears on the Memorial inside the church there,

with his brothers Roger Francis DRAPER (k-in-a Gallipoli) and William Penrhyn Bodington DRAPER who died of wounds.

Roger and William were the sons of Rev DRAPER and his second wife Emily Augusta WRIGHT.

Photograph see Adel(St John) War Memorial-Yorkshire Indexers Wiki (link doesn't seem to work)

post-23195-0-81505100-1329855920.jpg