The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Frederick William Perkins 1897-1940

Sarah Cavill

Hi all 

trying to find out if any of the information I have got for ggfather is correct before I do anymore research. 
my great uncle recorded this info and the photos.

Frederick enlisted the army 2 sept 1914 .I haven’t seen any documentary evidence but my great uncle refers to his disembodiement certificate stating his year of birth as 1896.

He served in France with the 2nd Welsh Field Ambulance and was then posted in the Royal Artillery to the Indian Army and took place in the Mesopotamia campaigns. Now I’m not sure the terminology is right but there were Indian and Sikh out there so that might explain it?
my great uncle says he has seen a medal certificate indicating that he entered the Egyptian theatre of war on 95/09/15. He thinks that Frederick was involved in the Kut relief?? 

there is a FW Perkins (202613)recorded being in Iraq but I have discounted him as his records show different home address. my Frederick was born in Devon and this Fred was from Northampton. 

he was disembodied from the army on 26/09/19 but my great uncle says he also served in the defence force in Ireland 3 May to 5 July 192?? I’m assuming he volunteered again? 

apparently his records were destroyed in an air raid in 1940 . 

Frederick was in the TA and when WW2 broke out he was called up and served as a Sgt, 733026 in 153 light aa brigade, 51 regiment,Royal Artillery BEF. He was KIA in France 24/05/40. I have records for this service number. 

my question is about his early service... is any of this correct going by the uniform ?? 

grateful for your assistance 

sarah

62B654F8-5F63-4F60-BD83-14D43BF94507.jpeg

0577F402-5574-4E1D-8D83-1E16D7CFE33A.jpeg

19F7999D-D3EA-4EA5-B84D-51FE78972CF9.jpeg

Is this your gggrrandfather on FMP?

First name(s) Frederick William
Last name Perkins
Birth year 1897
Age 43
Death year 1940
Death date 24 May 1940
Number 733026
Rank Sergeant
Unit 153 Bty., 51 Lt. A.A. Regt.
Regiment Royal Artillery
Grave reference Grave 2.
Cemetery or Memorial Clairmarais Churchyard
Burial country France
Additional information Son of William John and Lucy Perkins; husband of Gladys May Perkins, of Tavistock, Devon.

George

If your Gt Uncle has his "disembodiment certificate" it will have his service number and will make his career easier to trace.

In addition as he served in WW2 his Service Record from that period will be held by the MOD and may contain some or all details of his earlier service, you can request copies for a fee  https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Sam

On FWR this would seem to give a reference but I cannot find him...

First Name:
Fw
Surname:
Perkins
DOB:
1896-07-04
Further Information:
Account: 11006. Item Code: ADH000115078
Service Number:
Primary Unit:
Royal Artillery
Archive Reference:
surviving-wwi-service-records

More information about Royal Artillery

Formed: 1716

The first recorded use of cannon on the battlefield was by Edward III at the Battle of Crecy in 1346 during the Hundred Years' War. Up to the eighteenth century,... read more here  >>

George

I think he retained his service number as I have seen a medal card on FMP now I’ve looked again. Territorial Efficiency Medal awarded in 1928. He would qualify for this as he had done 12 years ( war counting)

I have just found this which may help... can’t believe I missed it. It’s taken from the book my great uncle wrote about the whole family. No idea where he got it from 

9A6287D2-C104-48A7-9207-9408B81DB331.jpeg

The service number 202613 is the fella from Northamptonshire and joined the Manchester regiment... I think my great uncle has followed a red herring with the medal record but that doesn’t explain the photos? 

2 hours ago, Sarah Cavill said:

The service number 202613 is the fella from Northamptonshire and joined the Manchester regiment... I think my great uncle has followed a red herring with the medal record but that doesn’t explain the photos? 

Sorry Sarah is that one for me?

oops sorry see that it isn't!

George

Edited by George Rayner

3 hours ago, Sarah Cavill said:

The medal rolls for the 1914-15 Star and British War & Victory Medals show the man as serving in the Devonshire Regt with the number 5078 (14-15 Star) and later 202613 (BW&V). This is not unusual, as the second number was a result of a renumbering of Territorials in 1917

The BW&V roll also records this man's service with 1/4th Bn Devons, a Territorial Force battalion which the LLT says sailed first to India in 1914 and thence to Mesopotamia, joining 41st Indian Brigade in spring 1916, then 37th Indian Brigade in the June. Another unit which followed the same path was the 45th Rattray's Sikhs, and there were other Sikh regiments in 37th Brigade. All this seems - very broadly - to chime with some of your family memories of Frederick William Perkins's WW1 service, as well as the cap badge, tropical kit and Imperial Service tablet (a badge worn to show a Territorial had volunteered for overseas service) in your photos. However, it also means that he first entered a theatre of war on 5th Sept 1915 or thereabouts, with the Devons, so any prior service in France is a mystery.

As for the other fella, a man's regimental number was, more or less, just that: men in other regiments (and indeed other battalions of the same regiment) might have the same number. An Army service number, which was unique to the individual, wasn't adopted until after WW1.

Hope this helps, Pat.