The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Search by postings

David Platt

Well, Atherton is correct - we have family graves there and they all fit together.  The enlargement of the shoulder titles is 'sus' and I took the word of the expert who said 'ESSEX' (X is the unknown quantity and a SPURT is a drip under pressure)  The photo fits with the newspaper cuttings and the SWB records came along because I was looking for T Cook ESSEX and it fit together.  We don't have the badge or anything except the reports in the papers and family memory - which is why I called for help.

David.

PRC - I'm off to PRO as soon as possible - having contacted them for my ticket - I'll be off to Tyldesley in 5 weeks to tip my cap to the graves and visit the haunts and I've started to subscribe to journals and history sites.  With all the help you have given I feel quite well armed now.  Thanks for the help and info.

Cheers everyone.

David

1 hour ago, clk said:

Hi David,

Might it be worth posting a copy of the photo you have, and the blow up of the shoulder title?

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, David Platt said:

Will do.  I think it's been nailed though.  I'll look for it and let you know.

Cheers, all.

David.

Hi David,

Glad you got an answer to your problem

I think clk's post was an order, rather than a suggestion!:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I think clk's post was an order, rather than a suggestion!:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, David Platt said:

Oh dear, I hope not as I don't take orders anymore.

LOL :lol:

Regards to both.

Chris

David

Having had a look I'm confident that the block of transfers I mentioned took place in India on 17 1 1917.

In your opener you say he wrote of having been wounded in 18th? of July 1915 and 28th April 1916. 6th East Lancs were in 38th Bde which was in 13th Div.

13th Div =   http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/13th-western-division/

His first wound was either at the landings or shortly thereafter. The second one must have been during one of the attempts to relieve KUT. 

Garrison Bns had a lower fitness level than a fighting Bn so he has been transferred either because of that last wouning or a subsequent ailment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Kut

Hywyn, thank you for taking the time to help me with this.  It's been a mystery for some time.

Thank you all for your efforts.  Here's the photo of Thomas Cook although the enlargement is proving elusive.

I am quite the virgin on this site and never did get the hang of civi humour so, to The Boy on Saint David's day "Ewch i **** eich hun dai bach"

Cheers,

David.

Thomas Cook.jpg

And the joyous felicitations are reciprocated.

Happy St David's Day.

I've taken the liberty of reducing the last image size.

I think it might say 'Welsh'

title.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

David

When I linked to Ancestry on the thread it was because I thought you had access.

I have sent you a PM. The letters/figures on the MIC refer to the Roll/Page number.

You'll see he first entered theatre on 16 7 1915 so that wounding was during the landing looks like doesn't it.

His entitlement = 1915 Star, Victory & British (one Roll for the first and one Roll for the latter 'pair'. Although East Yorks issued the medals they would have his East Lancs details inscribed.

If you're not aware of them here's some bumph about them

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/the-british-campaign-medals-for-the-great-war/

It doesn't appear that his papers have survived (Army record depository took a hit during WW1)

If the PRO (Kew) is within reach for you then maybe getting the War Diary for 6th E Lancs would be useful so as to see what they were up to around the second wounding.

The two wound stripes are clear aren't they. He wont have earned them during the Garrison Bn posting so I'd say he should be on the Times Lists under his E Lancs number.

Fantastic Hywyn.  Thank you very much.  Yes, I've enrolled at PRO and will be visiting soon so I'll look them up.  Cheers for the link - it will be very useful.

I'll let you know if you like.

Dai Bach?  'WELSH'?  in what language does it say Welsh? ; )  I kept it large so folks could reduce it to their liking and I think you might understand ho I 'saw' ESS.....  but Welsh? No, I can't see that.  Anyone else?

Thanks, both, for your help - diolch yn fawr.

David.

On the basis that we are dealing with either East Lancashire ( EAST LANCASHIRE, E LANCASHIRE, E LANCS) or East Yorkshire  (E YORKSHIRE or E YORK), I can't convince myself it is any of them.

So, it could be something else.

Just saying what I can see in this image:

Title.jpg

Wow, I see your point.  Really throws the cat amongst the pigeons, eh?  It's as valid as ESSEX.  However, I think the E must be the first letter of the title considering the curve of the jacket shoulder.

I have to go with EAST Something.

Many thanks,

David.

That's definitely  a close up of the shoulder title in the main photo is it?

And a close up of all of it, not just a part?

The close up seems to have a deep shadow under the curved edge that I can't see in the main photo.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr