The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trying to find Walter Hebblewhite 10th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

Deb77777

• Admin

Yes it's in the Communal Cemetery Extension. Normally special memorial stones are arranged around the walls or in blocks. It's a few years since I went there, and  my main memories of the cemetery are the light fall of snow and how cold it was, not necessarily the layout.

Looking at the cemetery plan, his memorial stone is by the cross of sacrifice , you can see the stones in my photo 

cemetery-plan-30501.gif

IMG_2048.JPG

You can see on the map of Roisel Communal Cemetery Extension, that over to the right hand side is the border with Roisel Communal Cemetery, so Walter could still be buried very close.

Even though his grave is 'now lost' doesn't mean his grave was destroyed during later fighting, it could just be that his body was hastily buried within the Cemetery, and the location not recorded correctly. The wording on the CWGC website leans towards this explanation

"Other special memorials record the names of two soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves could not be found on concentration."

Looking at the burial returns and concentration forms it looks like there were quite a few men buried in Roisel Communal Cemetery before they were moved to the Extension at a later date. I cant see him being the only grave destroyed by an errant shell if there were so many others around him. My guess would be that he was possibly put in a grave along with another casualty but his body not recovered if his details were not recorded correctly.

Edited by temptage

Thank you to all those who have sent replies and taken the time to help me. It is so addictive once you start getting into it, before you know it you can while away the whole day on research.