The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"2nd Heavy Battery R.G.A., Turkey" Help Please.

GWF1967

Hello Michael, thanks do much for your reply. Yes, that's where I thought he was stationed. I attach a scan of one of his diary pages, where he drew a map of the area. It shows how thier camp was laid out at end of November 1922.

Pages_map.jpg

Sue,

thanks for adding that map – it's really quite good and gives interesting hints at the British activity at Songali Dere in 1922/3

Can you add some details about your grandfather and the unit with which he served?

best regards

Michael

Hello Michael, thanks for your compliments. My grandfather was Sgt Stewart Carl Gustavus Puddephatt. Not sure about the exact unit but it had something to do with the Howitzers. The CO was called Langley. His close friends were Jock Morgan, Barney Grogan, Horatio Sidstream, Jerry Melcome. They apparently had a Greek interpreter, who is referred to as 'Diminshed Tomatoes' so far as I can make out the writing. I have a day by day diary from 8Nov 1922 until early December. Then some in missing but I have the Christmas week in another notebook. I'm hoping that my Aunty Jean, his daughter, can dig out some more treasures from the attic.

Camp-photos-1_hillside.jpg

13 minutes ago, Sue de Villiers said:

My grandfather was Sgt Stewart Carl Gustavus Puddephatt. Not sure about the exact unit but it had something to do with the Howitzers.

During the Great War he served in the Royal Garrison Artillery with regimental number 37202, gaining the Victory and British War Medals. It seems more than likely that post war he continued his service with the RGA, and was with their guns in Turkey during the occupation and the Chanak Crisis 1918-1923

A copy of his WWI medal card can be obtained here (free is you register) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4738723

Hello Michael, yes, that's him! Will try to get the information that you mention. Here is another certificate that I've got. It has his number on it.

Puddephatt_S-C-G_artillery-cert_1914.jpeg

Puddephatt_S-C-G_army-group_5_Rhineland-1919_edit.jpg