The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Herbert Leonard Andrews

ClareA

According to their Medal Index Cards at the National Archives

H - 7871 was a Harry who also served with the Northamptonshire Regiment and finished up with the Royal Engineers.

H - 18554 was a Herbert who went on to serve with the Labour Corps (637635). (The one that has already been considered)

H - 60377 is only shown as a H. Rank shown as a Cadet, (i.e. training to be an officer). Joined 17.2.16, discharged 3.1.17, no longer physically fit to serve. Silver War Badge issued.

H - 7623 - no match.

P - 18726 - no match

Cheers,

Peter

I think this is the father Francis in 1911 with new wife - he did take some finding- note he is under Andrew. FMP shows Elsie isabella in Hendon but I can't find her there on family serach. can;t find a birth reg for Lottie or Ciccy. Percy Frank disappears - there are some possible marriages but no relevant death- would suggest either died abroad in WW1 or emigrated.

Francis James certainly did live to a ripe old age- died in 1949 at the age of 92 in Wllesden.

Francis Andrew

England and Wales Census, 1911Tools

────────── Create New Folder 

Name:Francis Andrew

Event Type:Census

Event Date:1911

Event Place:Hampstead, London, England, United Kingdom

County:London

Parish:Hampstead

Sub-District:Hampstead

Sub-District Number:1

Enumeration District:50

Registration District:Hampstead

Marital Status:Married

Marital Status (Original):MARRIED

Industry:OMNIBUS

Birth Year (Estimated):1857

Birthplace:London Marylebone, London

Relationship to Head of Household:Head

Schedule Type:284

Page Number:1

Registration Number:RG14

Piece/Folio:565

Affiliate Record Identifier:GBC/1911/RG14/00640/0565/1

Household

Role

Sex

Birthplace

Francis Andrew

Head

Male

London Marylebone, London

Harriett Andrews

Wife

Female

Bucks Gt Missenden, Buckinghamshire

Dorothey Andrews

Daughter

Female

London Marylebone, London

Lottie Andrews

Daughter

Female

London Paddington, London

Cecellia Andrews

Daughter

Female

London Paddington, London

Gertrude Andrews

Daughter

Female

Willesden, Middlesex

Albert Andrews

Son

Male

Willesden, Middlesex

Eddie Andrews

Daughter

Female

Willesden, Middlesex

Review and Attach Record

It seems he may have made it twice in the 1891- check out the carman in Bow :-)

Edited by Madmeg

Thank you for this info. I have these relatives already on my family tree but nice to have the confirmation.

my great grandfather’s first wife died and looks like he remarried a lady living at the stables where he lived. He went on to have three more children, so 10 in all!! 
i think Percy ended up going to live in Canada from my own research but I’ve not done much on him or double checked it. If that is him he died in 1947

thanks again 

clare

45 minutes ago, ClareA said:

i think Percy ended up going to live in Canada from my own research but I’ve not done much on him or double checked it. If that is him he died in 1947

Could he possibly be Private 865711 Percy Frank Andrews who enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force on the 4th August 1916? That man was born Hampstead, London on the 9th October 1882.

He was a groom prior to enlisting. He was married and living at Brandon, Manitoba - wife was called Alice. At the time of enlistment the couple have 6 children, the oldest being 13 years old. (Names and ages on Page 46). Had a check through but as he was already married there is no reference to parents or other family members.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=10317

If you click Digitized Service record - PDF format link you can see all 76 pages.

I assume the lady Francis married was his widowed boarder on the 1901 Census.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Nice find PRC- and I hadn;t made the connection between the lodger and her family in 1901- mind it was after midnight by then so I'll let myself off :-)

As I can't find birth reg for either Lottie or Ciccy   (I've checked FreeBMD for all ANDREWS and ANDREW reg from 1890-1900 in Paddington so can confirm they aren't there as Charlotte or Cecily etc) perhaps they too might have another surname- could they have been adopted? I have also checked NORRIS in Paddington for the same time period but again am not seeing any likely ones. I haven't checked the orignal GRO records so it is possible they are missing from FreeBMD.

Lizzie Mary Andrews died in Paddinton 1900 aged 40.

2 hours ago, Madmeg said:

As I can't find birth reg for either Lottie or Ciccy   (I've checked FreeBMD for all ANDREWS and ANDREW reg from 1890-1900 in Paddington so can confirm they aren't there as Charlotte or Cecily etc) perhaps they too might have another surname- could they have been adopted?

On 09/06/2020 at 20:04, PRC said:

The birth of a Herbert Leonard Andrews, mothers' maiden name Hunt, was registered with the Civil Authorities in the Paddington District of London in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1888.  You had 42 days after the event to register this birth, which was then shown in the quarter registered, not the quarter born. So a birth registered in Q3 1888 could quite legally have been born at the end of June, which is what his enlistment form is saying.

On the 1891 Census of England & Wales the 2 year Herbert L. Andrews, born Paddington, was recorded living at Omnibus Companys Yard, Paddington. This was the household of his parents Francis J, (aged 34, a Bus Yard Foreman, born Paddington) and Lizzie M., (aged 32, born Paddington). The couple have three other children, Emma, (10, born Marylebone), Percy F, (8, born Hampestead(?), London), and Bessie A., (4, born Paddington).

By the time of the 1901 Census of England & Wales mother Lizzie has died and the family were recorded living at 4 Queens Arms Yard, Maida Vale, Paddington. Father Francis, (44). is an Omnibus Washer, Of the children, Percy F, (18, born Hampstead), is a horsekeeper, plus there is Bessie A, (14), Herbert L, (12), Elsie J, (9, born Paddington), Lottie F, (5, born Willesden) and Cissey G, (3, born Paddington). Also boarding in the household is a 32 year old widow Harriet A. Norris, and (probably) her two children.

From the birth record for Herbert Leonard Andrews I’d identified the mothers’ maiden name was Hunt. While the sources available to me don’t always have the mothers’ maiden name transcribed I could at least find an Elsie Isabel, mothers’ maiden Hunt, whose birth was registered in the Paddington District in Q4 1891.

But nothing in the Paddington District for the two younger children Lottie F, (5, born Willesden) and Cissey G, (3, born Paddington) on the 1901 census.

There was a ‘Female’ Andrews registered in the Paddington District in Q3 of 1897.

Lottie, (15) and Cecelia, (14) were living with their father and step-mother on the 1911 Census, but Lottie is now shown as born Paddington.

Opening the search out a little bit further, there is a Cecilia Grace Andrews, no mothers’ maiden name transcribed, whose birth was registered in the Hendon District of Middlesex in Q3 1897. Although Cissey G \ Cecilia was shown on both censuses as born Paddington, in 1901 her older sister Lottie was shows as born at Willesden  -  the Registration District for Willesden is Hendon. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/hendon.html

Checking that District also brings up a Lottie Frances Andrews, no mothers’ maiden name transcribed, whose birth was registered in Q4 1895.

Hope that's not too many red herrings,

Cheers,

Peter

that must be them- I only looked in Paddington and they weren't there . I did find their sister Elsie I in Hendon in the 1911 census I think. 

I got a marriage for Francis James to Lizzie Mary Hunt. 

Edited by Madmeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Yes I think that may well be the same Percy. Thanks for the extra info!
and yes my great grandfather married the boarding lady after his wife died. He ended up with a lot of children!! He worked for the London Omnibus company in Paddington. he went blind in the end and lived with my dad and his brothers. My dad’s dad died when he was 10. 

All the best

Clare xx