The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ottoman 1887 Mauser

Rem1858

40 minutes ago, trajan said:

Well, the six-pointed star and crescent are used on other Ottoman-made military stuff.

I've should have read the part again an not write up things just based on my memory after reading it once. 😁 Sorry about that. Here is a quote on the chapter I meant:

"To my knowledge, there exists no explanation as to why exactly these symbols were chosen to represent the processes. They seem to be a rather random choice of familiar Ottoman icons, like the crescent, and Arabic-script monograms with no obvious meaning. However, an attentive eye might have discerned a star currently not really associated with the Ottoman Empire or even Islam at all, the hexagram, representing the test firing ‘Systembeschuß’ stage on the M1887."

Source: https://silahreport.com/2020/04/19/stars-and-rifles-part-1-ottoman-hexagram-proof-marks/

Edited by Rem1858

When Mauser started production of the M.87 rifle, they a small group of Turkish inspectors who were stationed close by, possibly a consolate who were in close contact with Mauser. Original/ early production had German markings, a friend of mine has one. This group insisted on Turkish markings. By Trajan’s link ( Thanks , great link!) The markings look good to me

Mauser even built a Turkish-style 'home-from-home' for the inspectors involved in the 1887 process! It was demolished, I believe, by the French in 1945...

Thanks Trajan