The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Colour me very pleased...Ross Rifle

RangeRover

I've had several Ross rifles over the years, always on the hunt for a better example of a Mk III Ross - especially for one with some solid Canadian regimental history associated with it. Compared to examples of the Mk II Ross, which often carry their regimental travels stamped into the buttstock, regimental markings on the Mk III are much less often encountered. 

Until recently the best I had been able to do, and been very happy to find, was one with the "CEF" over "1916" stamp indicating acceptance by the CEF in 1916, and markings showing it went into stores with the Canadian Mounted Rifles. I considered myself very fortunate to have found that example, and didn't expect to be able to find anything better.  And then the example pictured here came along.  A swap of Ross rifles was arranged and I'm now the proud owner of this one. 

It is in lesser condition than the CMR example. So why swap? The regimental markings. This Ross has the CEF 16 roundel but it also has markings to the "43rd Bn CEF" -  and my grandfather served in the 43rd Bn in the Great War. This one is not getting out of my hands.

IMG_9673.JPG

marking zoom-1.jpg

Nice pick up!

As chance would have it I just got hold of a photo of Canadians with their Ross rifles in the UK:

Chris

CanadianRossM1910.jpg.6ea928f3492edc120c3874762acf7697.jpg

CanadianRossM1910detail.jpg.15953fd05a9b9d21dd80799705ae0e7e.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Nice photo,

the distinctive Canadian 7-button tunic and the 1899 "Oliver" equipment waist belt. Using the chinstraps on the cap like that is also relatively unusual.

Cheers

Ross

Great, early image.

Well done on that rifle! The photograph is also a nice one Chris!

Julian