The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC and what others and where?

Bernard Major

31 minutes ago, headgardener said:

This particular man's Red Cross service record and medal entitlement indicate that he didn't serve with the RAMC in France, which matches the absence of the badge on his arm.

I have quite a few photos from WW1 of BRCS & OSTJJ men, and maybe a couple of hundred or more of RAMC men. Their uniforms look identical except for the Geneva Cross badge worn by the RAMC men.

There's a couple of my photos which may be relevant to this discussion - I'll try to dig them up this evening.

Basically, I thought St John's men were encouraged to serve in RAMC TF units. It made sense that the army would seek to have use of them as they provided a pool of well trained men (like the men of the Home Hospital Reserve), and who were already familiar with a sort of quasi military structure and training.

Yes, I agree with you.  As far as I’m concerned my only area of doubt relates to a man wearing a British Army cap badge if he wasn’t in the British Army.  It breaks every taboo, not just militarily, but legally too.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable contributions. I did have sight of a letter from my great grandfather that was written from Boulogne in early December 1914.

On 12/07/2020 at 21:45, Bernard Major said:

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable contributions. I did have sight of a letter from my great grandfather that was written from Boulogne in early December 1914.

Do you have the letter, and are there any other references to his service in France in it?

What did he do in civilian life? I was wondering whether he had any connection to the mining industry.

The letter just asks his daughter to look after her brother and mother. No reference to his service at all, other than the letter being posted in December from Boulogne.

He was a miner and the first responder in the mines. He was superintendent of the local St John's and organised competitions to see who could treat injured most effectively. It was a good way of increasing their knowledge base. There was a letter I had sight of, dated in the early thirties which was a character reference for him along the lines of: this is a man of good character and hard working. He deserves to be given work...  I wish I had it now, or a copy. Very hard times in some areas.

56 minutes ago, Bernard Major said:

The letter just asks his daughter to look after her brother and mother. No reference to his service at all, other than the letter being posted in December from Boulogne.

He was a miner and the first responder in the mines. He was superintendent of the local St John's and organised competitions to see who could treat injured most effectively. It was a good way of increasing their knowledge base.

Yes, I had a feeling that he was with the Mines Rescue Service (or similar). I think I can see the story emerging here.

Is there anything to say where he was in Boulogne? I’m guessing that he was ferrying patients from hospital (which I think was then at Nantes?) to hospital ships at Boulogne. I think the St John’s men were principally engaged in ferrying wounded & sick men to hospital (as stretcher bearers and ambulance drivers).

It is only the letter from Boulogne to suggest that he was there. All helps to fill out what was otherwise a void in his history. Thanks once again.