The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery soldiers.

Miss Jones

9 minutes ago, IPT said:

Yes, that's right.

The first photo I posted of the guy who looks a bit deformed, has an indentation in one corner. I tried to read it weeks ago , I have Physically have the photo, and I decided it said Limerick. It's very faint but that's what I got it too. 

Edited by Miss Jones

Maybe this Limerick

There once was a soldier named Dee

Who fought on the land and the sea

With mustard was gassed

And pepper spray blast,

A well-seasoned veteran is he.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before - First chap,  upper left arm.  Is that a badge?    Or another artifact? 

Edited by Gunner Hall

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before - First chap,  upper left arm.  Is that a badge?    Or another artifact? 

No, it’s a glimpse of the variegated backdrop behind him.

How about this guy? He looks quite short in stature. Looks so young. 

Screenshot_20200908-145743~2.png

Royal Artillery I believe.  The cap badge is a gun (cannon) and you can just about see his shoulder title formed from large block letters.  He wears riding breeches and a waist belt from the 1903 leather equipment for troops on mounted duty.  Unfortunately it’s not possible to determine if he was with a field artillery or horse artillery battery.  He seems to be wearing a 1916 pattern soft cap.

30A1EAA9-0DD2-41D7-A87D-F84EA1B17564.jpeg

CBAB6719-E1EA-40FE-AD64-BF9E31D81046.jpeg

8BC02B20-0BAB-4125-A3CF-1EE4BF4BDDC9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Folks, my two penn'orth: the first photo in this thread seems very clearly to me to be composite, as others have said. If the head was superimposed onto another photo, discussion of the uniform may be misleading - if the two photos aren't of the same man. I don't see clear evidence of prosthesis, by the way, so much as an awkward stance. Appreciate this is a game of opinions though! Sorry if this is just summarising what other people have said.

Cheers, Pat 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Royal Artillery I believe.  The cap badge is a gun (cannon) and you can just about see his shoulder title formed from large block letters.  He wears riding breeches and a waist belt from the 1903 leather equipment for troops on mounted duty.  Unfortunately it’s not possible to determine if he was with a field artillery or horse artillery battery.  He seems to be wearing a 1916 pattern soft cap.

30A1EAA9-0DD2-41D7-A87D-F84EA1B17564.jpeg

CBAB6719-E1EA-40FE-AD64-BF9E31D81046.jpeg

8BC02B20-0BAB-4125-A3CF-1EE4BF4BDDC9.jpeg

Thanks frog. I'm starting to think all these soldiers were friends, comrades of my uncle John, as the infantry , and horsemen seem to be in abundance. I've more photos but don't want to hire everyone. I'd dearly love names to these guys as I think each and everyone deserves recognition. 

1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

Folks, my two penn'orth: the first photo in this thread seems very clearly to me to be composite, as others have said. If the head was superimposed onto another photo, discussion of the uniform may be misleading - if the two photos aren't of the same man. I don't see clear evidence of prosthesis, by the way, so much as an awkward stance. Appreciate this is a game of opinions though! Sorry if this is just summarising what other people have said.

Cheers, Pat 

I'll have to ask this, why would a photo be superimposed back then? What reason would they do this for? Really looking at it, it does seem really unreal. 

Thanks pat. 

On 06/09/2020 at 16:29, headgardener said:

He could also be 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th London R. 

Indeed you are quite correct--same badges--quite confusing really.

40 minutes ago, Miss Jones said:

I'll have to ask this, why would a photo be superimposed back then? What reason would they do this for? Really looking at it, it does seem really unreal. 

Thanks pat. 

I wondered if he had been disfigured the photographer 'mended' him in a uniform shot using an earlier photo of him. Superimposing his younger face onto a later photo. Or reconstructing his face from the other side. Plus he also has that awkward stance.

Just thinking aloud.

TEW

On 07/09/2020 at 17:12, Miss Jones said:

Thanks everyone so far who's given input. Much appreciated. Here's another guy, I think, he's William Griffith Jones. I need positive proof yet and am hoping to have this confirmed via long list family on ancestry who I've just contacted. But he's a handsome young man. If it is William, I can take comfort in the fact that I know he survived the war and married a lovely lady. 

IMG_20200907_171118.jpg

The first photo and this there is a similarity in face shape and chin meeting collar - not studied ears yet but wondered if they could be related. 

11 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

The first photo and this there is a similarity in face shape and chin meeting collar - not studied ears yet but wondered if they could be related. 

There is a chance of this Alison. 

I did wonder about the older chap your uncle as he has a similar face shape too

9 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

I did wonder about the older chap your uncle as he has a similar face shape too

I'd not noticed that. I'll look into it thanks Alison. :thumbsup:

A few more of my unmarked photos. I don't know who they are but just like every soldier, deserve to be recognised. R.i.p.all , thanks for your service. 

FB_IMG_1599835593366.jpg

FB_IMG_1599835587674.jpg

FB_IMG_1599835583189.jpg

FB_IMG_1599835579923.jpg

37 minutes ago, Miss Jones said:

A few more of my unmarked photos. I don't know who they are but just like every soldier, deserve to be recognised. R.i.p.all , thanks for your service.

The first one is Royal Engineers (wearing simplified jacket), the second a subaltern (lieutenant) Royal Welsh Fusiliers, I cannot make out the shoulder title of the third man (whose wearing khaki drill and so somewhere hot), but perhaps artillery, or Army Service Corps, and the fourth man is definitely a field, or horse artilleryman.

How do you come to have so many photos of WW1 soldiers?

Edited by FROGSMILE

1493117571_JimPalmer.jpg.8846d8f2471228f58e1a7af491cd4a62.jpg

The third man must have been to the same photographer's as my mother's uncle Jim Palmer!

(He served in Palestine and then the Western Front with 2nd and 7th Scottish Rifles, no idea where the photo was taken though - I guess Egypt somewhere, although those tiles are pretty ubiquitous in that part of the world - could even be Malta)

Edited by Pat Atkins

Certainly looks the same studio bar the table swap. Funny when there's another topic on 'same studio'.

TEW

Is there? Must've missed that - will have a look.  I notice the Third Man has what appear to be overseas chevrons on his right lower sleeve, which would date the photo to an extent. 

Not exactly 'same studio' but same location. Good spot.

TEW

Thanks all for your very informative replies. They all make the guys in the photos more real to me than just faces in uniforms. Much appreciated . :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The first one is Royal Engineers (wearing simplified jacket), the second a subaltern (lieutenant) Royal Welsh Fusiliers, I cannot make out the shoulder title of the third man (whose wearing khaki drill and so somewhere hot), but perhaps artillery, or Army Service Corps, and the fourth man is definitely a field, or horse artilleryman.

How do you come to have so many photos of WW1 soldiers?

Hi. All these photos were in a wallet with many more photos of civilians. I brought the wallet back from my grandmother's cottage when she sold up to go into a nursing home in 1990.  I'm so glad I did. I'd put them all away for safe keeping. And it's only when I started doing our family trees with my siblings that I brought them out. We've been looking through and found old amazing photos of our family (in Wales) . We knew nothing about the soldiers bar the one of our 'uncle John'.   There's a fantastic pic of a sailor, Hugh Roberts, my grandmother's brothers son. It's post the great war though. It must be. Thanks for all your help. It's invaluable. 

2 hours ago, Pat Atkins said:

1493117571_JimPalmer.jpg.8846d8f2471228f58e1a7af491cd4a62.jpg

The third man must have been to the same photographer's as my mother's uncle Jim Palmer!

(He served in Palestine and then the Western Front with 2nd and 7th Scottish Rifles, no idea where the photo was taken though - I guess Egypt somewhere, although those tiles are pretty ubiquitous in that part of the world - could even be Malta)

That's very interesting pat. Maybe they knew each other? (Is that likely) . I'll show this to my brother. Cheers. :thumbsup: