The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mystery soldiers.

Miss Jones

46 minutes ago, Miss Jones said:

There's a fantastic pic of a sailor, Hugh Roberts, my grandmother's brothers son. It's post the great war though. It must be. 

I have enjoyed following this interesting topic & viewing the photos you have submitted Ms Jones.

Pls post the photo in the 'Sailors, Navies & the War at Sea' section, perhaps the navy mates might be able to assist you with him.

Best....Navy Bryan

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

I have enjoyed following this interesting topic & viewing the photos you have submitted Ms Jones.

Pls post the photo in the 'Sailors, Navies & the War at Sea' section, perhaps the navy mates might be able to assist you with him.

Best....Navy Bryan

Hi Bryan. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my thread. The sole intention is for people to be interested. I like other people's photos. I can't contribute to information as I'm ignorant to dates of uniforms, cap badges etc. But I still like looking and reading. 

So the photo you asked me to post, I think my distant cousin, Hugh Roberts, sailed on the Hood. I can't confirm that, though my sister sent me copies of some documents which list where he sailed to. 

Thanks for your interest. 

Barb. 

FB_IMG_1599835282746.jpg

FB_IMG_1599835269874.jpg

Edited by Miss Jones

On 06/09/2020 at 01:21, Miss Jones said:

I have this photo, plus I have  others mostly with no identification. I'd particularly like to know who this is. However, there's not even a  cap to help identify which regiment he's from. Any idea of regiment? Does he look like he's been injured or is it just a bad photo? 

FB_IMG_1599351514109.jpg

Looks like he is surrounded by ghosts!! or is that just where I have been to the pub!

26 minutes ago, RegHannay said:

Looks like he is surrounded by ghosts!! or is that just where I have been to the pub!

Go home Reg...you're drunk...:lol::lol:

I see what you mean though...:D

15 hours ago, Miss Jones said:

That's very interesting pat. Maybe they knew each other? (Is that likely) . I'll show this to my brother. Cheers. :thumbsup:

I don't know why there's an assumption in my family that this was taken in Egypt, except that Jim met his father there by chance (his father was a 52nd Lowland Division infantryman too, KOSB). However, I suspect that a photographer's will have taken thousands of souvenir snaps like this of soldiers. I can't make out the unit of the Third Man (though I'd defer to Frogsmile in all things uniform) but he's neither KOSB nor Scottish Rifles at least. 

1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

I don't know why there's an assumption in my family that this was taken in Egypt, except that Jim met his father there by chance (his father was a 52nd Lowland Division infantryman too, KOSB). However, I suspect that a photographer's will have taken thousands of souvenir snaps like this of soldiers. I can't make out the unit of the Third Man (though I'd defer to Frogsmile in all things uniform) but he's neither KOSB nor Scottish Rifles at least. 

The third man appears to have large block shoulder titles commensurate with the artillery and service corps and that gave the (balance of probability) ID that I mentioned Ron.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, Miss Jones said:

Hi Bryan. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my thread. The sole intention is for people to be interested. I like other people's photos. I can't contribute to information as I'm ignorant to dates of uniforms, cap badges etc. But I still like looking and reading. 

So the photo you asked me to post, I think my distant cousin, Hugh Roberts, sailed on the Hood. I can't confirm that, though my sister sent me copies of some documents which list where he sailed to. 

Thanks for your interest. 

Barb. 

FB_IMG_1599835282746.jpg

FB_IMG_1599835269874.jpg

Hi Barb,

Photo of this rating appears to be of the post 1WW period, possibly early 1920's.

The basic rating uniform for men dressed as sailors was virtually unchanged from pre 1WW to post 2WW. As he wears no sleeve insignia he is likely an Ordinary or Able Seaman.

Altho his cap ribbon is badly blurred it could be HMS HOOD. She was virtually the flagship\showship of the RN during the interwar period. Lots on the internet about her service.

Best.....Bryan

17 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Hi Barb,

Photo of this rating appears to be of the post 1WW period, possibly early 1920's.

The basic rating uniform for men dressed as sailors was virtually unchanged from pre 1WW to post 2WW. As he wears no sleeve insignia he is likely an Ordinary or Able Seaman.

Altho his cap ribbon is badly blurred it could be HMS HOOD. She was virtually the flagship\showship of the RN during the interwar period. Lots on the internet about her service.

Best.....Bryan

Hi Bryn . Yes it had to be post ww1 because of his birth time. Someone tried to get his cap ribbon enlarge but as you saw it didn't work. However, it did improve the quality of the photo in that it shows his facisl festures so much. According to my sister Hugh was definitely on The Hood. You're correct in saying he was an OS. Thank you for all your help. 

Barb 

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my photos. You're all stars. B) 

I think that the cap tally has been deliberately obscured by a photographic censor.  This was quite common during WW2 depending upon where the photo was taken and developed.

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think that the cap tally has been deliberately obscured by a photographic censor.  This was quite common during WW2 depending upon where the photo was taken and developed.

That makes sense frog. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Miss Jones said:

That makes sense frog. Thank you. 

When you examine the photo you can see how there has been care taken to obscure the cap tally.  Yet his cap and face are completely clearly defined.

Edited by FROGSMILE