The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

US memorials to the Great War

andigger

I remember seeing one in New York - on the East side of Central Park - right on the edge. It was a regimental one I think but I can't remember any more details. My photos didn't come out unfortunately (sigh!)

Swizz,

On the way to the Met?

Most likely the 7th New York infantry (107th Regiment US, 27th Division AEF)

Take care,

Neil

• 6 months later...

Just back from the WFA US Chapter Mtg in Newport News VA. It was a great time and I learned a lot.

Just thought I'd add these pictures of another US WWI Memorial. No this is not Paris, but it is Newport News, VA. The port was the second largest embarkation point in the US for soldiers headed over there. Again in WWII almost 1.7 million troops passed through the ship yard.

The arch was first built in 1919 to greet troops returning from Europe, but it had to be recontructed (as you see it here) because the original wood arch was weathering poorly.

Andy

post-1626-1127687799.jpg post-1626-1127687819.jpg

post-1626-1127687846.jpg

BTW ARM, the dates say 1917-1918, because thats when the war started and ended.

BTW ARM, the dates say 1917-1918, because thats when the war started and ended.

:lol:

Sssh you trying to get me hung!

Arm

• 4 months later...

Anytime I strike out on a trip I always have to look for the local memorial to see how they memorialize thier WWI fallen. Its often common that those who died in the Great War get a commemorative plaque on thr county courthouse. Today however I found the most dramtic Great War memorial I have seen erected by a locality in the US. Whereas this type of monument is common on the Western Front and in the UK, I would dare say it is the only one I have seen in the US. It is located in Funkstown, MD (population maybe a couple hundred).

Andy

post-1626-1138506723.jpg

post-1626-1138506707.jpg

Andy

Thanks for posting these. I shall now await my good pal Bottgreys posting his photo of me standing in front of this memorial.

Although I cannot make it out from the photos, my recollection is that one of the men is identified as being "colored", which brought home to me some of the history of your country.

John

(Added later......the "colored" man is at the bottom of the list , Charles E Clark......my photo had better clarity)

Edited by John_Hartley

John - In fact I was thinking of your trip with Botts yesterday. I knew you'd been to Sharpsburg, etc so I was wondering if you'd been by Funkstown as well. I just happened upon this memorial, some as knowledgeable as Botts must have known it was there.

Actually the episode was kinda funny. Driving down the road I quickly pull over explaining that has to be a WWI memorial. My roommate asks:

a. How did you even notice the memorial over there

b. how do you know its WWI (to her the Second Punic War, The War in Iraq, and WWI are all the same)

To me it was obvious - the uniform, the weapon, the helmet and that was just on the first glance.

Andy

You know, it's like explaining why you stop at road side cemetaries just to see / feel the stories ... We often take our knowledge (just being able to judge stuff by appearence) for granted ... My wife Lauren has long since learned to put-up-with stops to road-side historical markers (to a point) ...

Andy

IIRC, Chris had only come across the memorial fairly recently. Probably one of those times just driving a different route to somewhere and you suddenly see something that makes you slam on the brakes and shout "wass tha"

J

There are at least THREE in Washington DC alone around the National Mall.

• 10 months later...

I love bringing this thread up (though its been almost a year) because it usually means I have been somewhere.

Here are some pictures from the Memorial Steps in Lynchburg, VA.

post-1626-1167184803.jpg

Each level/landing on the way up has a marker for each of the major conflicts - WWII, Korean War, Vietnam. Of course the Civil War has the largest statue, but the Great War Monument I think is also very impressive.

post-1626-1167184815.jpg

Andy

I think it's fair to mention also the Battleship Texas, which rests just south of Houston at the edge of the ship channel which connects Houston to the Gulf of Mexico.

Ann

Four dirt poor Eastern Kentucky COunties, Breathitt, Lee, Owsley & Wolfe I think, had so many volunteers there was no draft. We believe here that this happened nowhere else but I don't know if that's true or legend. The no draftees is fact.

• 3 months later...

I thought this was interesteding.... the structure covering the marker had a hole in the wall which on 11/11 each year at 11AM was hit by the sun just so that it would highlight the outline of the state of North Dakota on the map.

Andy

post-1626-1175969094.jpg

The Government's giving you too much holiday time, Andy.

Paris last month. Now this trip. :ph34r:

Interesting that two of them, as they record the conflict as "World War 1", must be post 1945 vintage.