The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which regiment is this cap badge from?

Mad Matron

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t doubt your assertion that the Somerset emblem is a Wyvern, but does that mean there are different representations of a Wyvern?

This Wikipedia page suggests there may be - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern. The opening sentence says "wyverns often possess only two legs and no arms or front appendages". The wyvern in Chester Cathedral seems to have four legs.

1 hour ago, Robin Garrett said:

As a Somerset boy (many years ago) I can authoritatively say it's not a dragon but a wyvern.

As a Welsh boy, I can authoritatively say that dragons have 4 legs and wyverns have 2.

20 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

The wyvern in Chester Cathedral seems to have four legs.

That's because the carver didn't know any better.

For example the Eagle in 'The Eagle and Child' badge of some Liverpool Regiment battalions is clearly a cormorant.

29 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

This Wikipedia page suggests there may be - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyvern. The opening sentence says "wyverns often possess only two legs and no arms or front appendages". The wyvern in Chester Cathedral seems to have four legs.

Here are old (traditional) Somerset emblems.  Very confusing!  Looks like a red dragon to me.

B22DB1E2-E437-435A-9976-7DA25864D0B0.jpeg

ECAAE46F-0FC4-4E3D-8648-7BE86697CF06.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

I believe that the Red Dragon of Somerset is derived from the Red Dragon Banner of King Alfred the Great. It is often erroneously called a wyvern, possibly due to the use of the Wessex Wyvern in the west country.

Dave

Back in the 1950s Wyverns used to come out of Luton every day. Those Luton ones never had any legs at all, they had four wheels instead. They are a rare breed these days those Vauxhall Wyverns!!. I have never had the pleasure of a Luton Wyvern but I did marry a Luton Dragon and she's a bit like a Vauxhall Wyvern, temperamental, wheezy and unpredictable but at least she's not prone to leaks, not so far anyway!!.  Pete.

I see that you have still been seeking an ID for the badge of subject soldier and I was worried that my explanation of locally related units has somehow put your mind in doubt.  You need not be, the image is good enough to make an reasoned ID and I’m quite confident that Pete’s assertion that it’s West Somerset Yeomanry is correct.  There are all kinds of reasons why a man might end up with a unit not associated with his home area.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I see that you have still been seeking an ID for the badge of subject soldier and I was worried that my explanation of locally related units has somehow put your mind in doubt.  You need not be, the image is good enough to make an reasoned ID and I’m quite confident that Pete’s assertion that it’s West Somerset Yeomanry is correct.  There are all kinds of reasons why a man might end up with a unit not associated with his home area.

I've got that many things on the go I'd forgotten about this Forum!! Yes I think you are right about the West Somerset Yeomanry. I had a look on the forces website and there was a Cecil Johnson in that regiment. It gives no other info apart from his service number, I would have liked to see a date of birth or next of kin just to make sure.

29 minutes ago, Ypres1915 said:

Could it be "Training Reserve"?

TR.jpg

No, the dragon device in the centre of the badge is readily apparent.  This has been a bit flogged to death!