The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shellshock and Neurasthenics Highfield Golders Green London Eng Weekly Dispatch September 23 1917 article by Max Pemberton

John Gilinsky

Hello all.  Whilst processing the Ministry of Pensions reports I came across a report of a Joint Institutional Committee meeting report from October 4, 1917 in which it was reported that dismay was expressed during the meeting at the appearance of an article by Max Pemberton (later in early 1920s Sir Max Pemberton (( 1863 1950)) a novelist and journalist who worked closely with Lord Northcliffe about Pembertons visit to Highfield Goulders Green discharged soldiers neurasthenics hospital.  Sir John Collie had been instrumental in establishing the facility that had just opened a few months previously and also was knowledgeable about the background of Pembertons article.  The article appeared in the Weekly Dispatch dated September 23, 1917.  Does anyone have access to this article and can they please post it on the GWF.   I have tried unsuccessfully confirming this serial but I am sure that it must have been a Lord Northcliffe newspaper.  Thanks.  

Edited by John Gilinsky

• John Gilinsky changed the title to Shellshock and Neurasthenics Highfield Golders Green London Eng Weekly Dispatch September 23 1917 article by Max Pemberton