The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Crumbling Ruin

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

A sad sight to see in any town, but a Holyhead building is amongst the 10 most endangered historic buildings in Britain apparently.

It was a North Wales town's first dedicated GP surgery, and the home of the town's first GP and his family.

Two sons were killed in the Great War:

Henry Fox Russell MC 

and

John Fox Russell VC MC, RAMC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54343413

A sad state of affairs.  Do we know if the building had/has any sort of listing. ,local and above?  Such a building as that in London would,nowadays, have an energetic campaign to keep it-perhaps mainly on account of the modern housing,or "Euro-Boxes" as a friend calls them.  Looks like the local authority is a long way behind the curve. Not a good sign that the owner is unidentified-I hope it is not the local council anyway............

The Victorian Society usually shouts in the right way (ie with middle-class public school accents)  but the track record is a bit patchy-Euston Arch,Coal Exchange,etc..  I suspect there are inconsistencies locally that could be exploited by campaigners-Are the 2 sons ,for example, remembered as local men elsewhere? Embarrassing a local council with hypocritical evidence  of "heritage" one way and then ignoring it the other for example.

[And the  conjunction of the words "Dai Bach y Sowldiwr" and "A crumbling ruin" did have me worried as to your well-being  for a moment  :wub:]

Cannot  the owners be served with a notice to restore their property to a proper condition? The owner of this building is said to live in South Korea, which might make things more complicated, but presumably they have a local agent.

Cheers Martin B