The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Harold Lintott

Sandie Hayes

I'm currently looking at this chap, who is buried in the local cemetery. 

He died in Chester in March 1921 and is on the CWGC database. 

Would he still be serving in the Army, if he has a record with CWGC? He is buried in a private grave.

His service record is only available up to 1916, when he was discharged for being underage.

I have a basic Ancestry account but can't find anything that states his cause of death. Is there any way of finding out, without ordering a death certificate? 

Many thanks, 

Sandie

• Admin

The only record under the service number on CWGC on FMP is his CWGC entry. Looking at the service number I would surmise he had re-enlisted but that probably needs confirming by an expert.

Not found anything in their newspapers either.

Thank you for trying, it's much appreciated.

He joined the Cheshire Regiment in 1914, aged 15. He was discharged in 1916, when his real age was discovered. 

His CWGC record has him in the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Thanks again,

Sandie  

37 minutes ago, Sandie Hayes said:

He died in Chester in March 1921 and is on the CWGC database. 

This would seem to appear to be 3434638 https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2747770/H LINTOTT

As a seven digit number he would appear to possibly have a post-war service record still held by the MoD

Others may be able to search/find first.

- if so you could apply for them - https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records [but more expensive than a DC!!!]

Multiple pension records at WFA/Fold3 but no cause of death

Mother: Mrs Ada Lintott, 127 Church Street, Runcorn.

:-) M

Hi Sandie,

His Soldiers' Effects record (Ancestry link) appears to name his father as 'Wm', and shows...

image.png.547b04d5ae00096506669068ea5f5e92.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

Searching FMP using just 'Lintott' and 'Lancashire Fusiliers', I got these hits...

image.png.643b00baa21573ce56d99c6dc7347270.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

The PoW record is an image of an index card held by the ICRC...

image.png.9cfa9fb497b3f76c4cbd3a7170319fb9.png

In the Red Cross archives, the associated PoW register pages are here and here.. 

image.png.6d87a2c7549c0df5f6a08fa0a2457351.png

image.png.7510d002970877c298e75623c6355b03.png

image.png.ec1187a1dfb6379648493a4958347a9e.png

Images sourced from the ICRC

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Multiple pension records at WFA/Fold3 but no cause of death

Mother: Mrs Ada Lintott, 127 Church Street, Runcorn.

That address would appear to tie back to the NoK details in the PoW records.

4 hours ago, Sandie Hayes said:

He joined the Cheshire Regiment in 1914, aged 15. He was discharged in 1916, when his real age was discovered.

It escapes me at the moment, but presuming that when he re-enlisted he was given a new service number, (and presuming it's correct) trying to date the 54625 number may help to establish when that was. I'm also finding it difficult to find him on the medal rolls.

Regards

Chris

16 minutes ago, clk said:

I'm also finding it difficult to find him on the medal rolls.

Lancashire Fusiliers 52645 MIC at TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3686127 [and Ancestry] gives BWM & VM on H/1/101 B25 page 5086

Thank you so much for all of this information, guys. 

A prisoner of war at 18 and Insane by the age of 21. I'm lost for words!

I can't thank you enough for your time and effort, it really is appreciated. 

Sandie. 

Edited by Sandie Hayes

Nice one M !

So it's 52645 rather than 54625, with the associated medal roll record here - indicating overseas service only with the 1/8 Bn. 

Sandie

It's a bit dangerous to make inferences about a man based on a  limited sample size of others, but 52656 Lovell appears to have been renumbered when he was transferred to the 1/8 Bn Lancashire Fusiliers on 7.4.1918, shortly after he had arrived at an Infantry Base Depot in France. 

image.png.432386052e700ad0ca139505d250e472.png

Wider 'near number' sampling may help to confirm, or otherwise.

regards

Chris

1 hour ago, clk said:

Wider 'near number' sampling may help to confirm, or otherwise.

confirmed by straddle:

52634    to 1/8th LF  7/4/18 from IBD France

From The Runcorn Weekly News, March 24th, 1921....the article goes onto say that a military funeral was expected but the Military did not turn up...no reason given.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20201003-081724.jpg

The short period of time (7 weeks) from discharge to death suggests to me that he may have been suffering from some form of degenerative brain disease, such as GPI. 

It looks like investing  in the death certificate  may be worthwhile. It would give the cause of death, hopefully in specific terms. It should also give the place of death,which, again, may help-at home? In a hospital?  In an asylum?    Even the reporter-hopefully a doctor-might give a clue if we know where the doctor was at the time or what his qualifications were.

The newspaper extract suggest to me that he may have contracted some form of illness on service in India-Yes, the real,original "doolally".  Thus, a degenerative brain condition sufficiently bad to be repatriated home -in September- but which still took a further 6  months or so to kill him.

Hi Sandie,

Reading the records of  52634 Jones and 52656 Lovell together, both men appear to have been called up, and posted a few days later to the 3/5th King’s (Liverpool Regiment) on 20.9.1917.  Subsequently, it seems that they embarked at Folkstone on 6.4.1918, and arrived at 'G' Infantry Base Depot (in Etaples) on the same day, where they were notionally posted to the 1/5 KLR, before being transferred to the 1/8 Lancashire Fusiliers (and given their new numbers) on 7.4.1918. The record for Lovell shows that he "Joined Battalion" (presumably in the field) on 10.4.1918. Unfortunately, the Battalion war diary doesn't appear to record reinforcements arriving.

The timeline might point towards something for Harold, but I think the only thing that is probably certain is that he arrived in France from a UK unit, and was numbered to 52645 in the 1/8 Lancashire Fusiliers at 'G' IBD on 7.4.1918.

Taking the newspaper report on face value, I wonder if a Forum Pal might know which unit/s of the Lancashire Fusiliers were in India post WW1, and prior to September 1920?

In the 1911 Census, living at 127 Church Street are:

image.png.3ec582168292907307e2bcad169bdcac.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

21 hours ago, Sandie Hayes said:

If you have one, would it be possible to post an image of his resting place please?

Edit:

In his PoW record I link that "G. G. Brust" means that he was taken captive with a rifle bullet wound to his chest.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

On 02/10/2020 at 20:27, clk said:

image.png.547b04d5ae00096506669068ea5f5e92.png

It looks like investing  in the death certificate  may be worthwhile. It would give the cause of death, hopefully in specific terms. It should also give the place of death,which, again, may help-at home? In a hospital?  In an asylum?    Even the reporter-hopefully a doctor-might give a clue if we know where the doctor was at the time or what his qualifications were.

The newspaper extract suggest to me that he may have contracted some form of illness on service in India-Yes, the real,original "doolally".  Thus, a degenerative brain condition sufficiently bad to be repatriated home -in September- but which still took a further 6  months or so to kill him.

"Insane" could perhaps be due delayed 'shellshock' / Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - so death could perhaps be suicide

Or due a disease

Or ...?

I too think at the moment a DC is the likely best way out of this [of course it may then go an open up enquiries again!]

Sandie - Please do let us know.

Thank you all for your interest in this man. I would never have found out any of this without you.

Your research is so very much appreciated. 

Sandie