Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying this photograph

Kristy Carter

I need help verifying this photograph it is apparently a picture of William Wright Millard Smith 1883 to 1937 he is my 2nd great uncle 

this picture has come up on Ancestry as him but it is a cropped photo and I am unsure I have found documents saying he was in the Gordon highlanders not sure if that’s correct as Smith is such a common name 

thank you for any help 

D6B75B26-548F-4A1E-95E5-1975A08D1512.png

Edited by Kristy Carter
Typo

This looks like a SEAFORTH HIGHLANDER to me.

The sporran badge is not a Gordons badge (which for ORs had a shield shaped badge) however the Seaforths badge is shown HERE

Additionally the gold stripe in the Gordons kilt does not show up on most (orthochromatic) period photos -- however the white in the Seaforth's kilt does (as here)

So -- if you have documents showing he was a Gordon,  I do no think this is him as for my money this is not a Gordon.

Chris

• Kristy Carter changed the title to Help identifying this photograph

Ok I will look into the Seaforth Highlanders😊 turns out I actually confused him with another relative and I haven’t found any service records for William yet just the picture so thank you that is helpful! 

This is certainly a photo of a Seaforth Highlander. 

He is wearing the SNCO version of the Regimental sporran (OR Seaforth Highlanders wore the issue hair sporran and SNCOs and Officers purchased their own which simplistically had different cantles in each case).  The photo is unusual in the I cannot see any SNCO/WO badges .... so I would then consider who else wore this sporran and that was pipers ...... but he does not wear the black leather belt of a piper ......... could he be a drummer wearing a sporran in a rare appearance without a drum and leather or leopard skin apron?

There are 72 William Smiths with medallic recognition serving in the Great War - which is most coincidental as 72 (and 78) are the Seaforth's antecedent Regiments. Back on track .......... are there any more clues in the family folklore that you could share with us?

Edited by TullochArd

13 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

This is certainly a photo of a Seaforth Highlander. 

He is wearing the SNCO version of the Regimental sporran (OR Seaforth Highlanders wore the issue hair sporran and SNCOs and Officers purchased their own which simplistically had different cantles in each case).  The photo is unusual in the I cannot see any SNCO/WO badges .... so I would then consider who else wore this sporran and that was pipers ...... but he does not wear the black leather belt of a piper ......... could he be a drummer wearing a sporran in a rare appearance without a drum and leather or leopard skin apron?

There are 72 William Smiths with medallic recognition serving in the Great War - which is most coincidental as 72 (and 78) are the Seaforth's antecedent Regiments. Back on track .......... are there any more clues in the family folklore that you could share with us?

I have very limited info on William but his brother my 2nd great grandfather died aug 18th 1916 he was in the 1st battalion black watch he is on the Thiepval memorial. 

William was born in Dunbar Haddington his mother’s name  was Janet Aitchison and father was Andrew Smith 

I have messaged the person who post the picture on Ancestry to ask for more information. 

thank you for your help 😊