The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A general query - 3 year attestation in 1915 served until 1919

MaxD

My subject signed up for 3 years for a Short Service (3 years with the colours) engagement with  the RGA on 26 August 1914.

The attestation form AFB 2065 item 17 is amended (attached from Ancestry) saying that he will serve for 3 years unless employed with hospitals, depots of mounted units or as clerks in which case he may have to serve another 6 months and if the war is over in less than 3 years he will be released with all convenient speed.

His service in the RGA from start to finish is totally clear from his record.  After initial service at home, he served in France with 123 Heavy Battery from 9 Mar 16 to 14 Feb 17, then 1/1st North Midland Heavy Battery until hospitalised on 1 Nov 1918 then 1/1st Wessex Heavy Battery from 23 Dec 1918 until hospitalised again in 14 Jan 19 when he was invalided to hospital  in UK until  22 Jan 19 when, via 1 Reserve Battery RGA, he was released on 10 Mar 19.

I need no more information about this chap having devoted almost 3 months to following his service via a plethora of war diaries at Corps HA, HAG , II Anzac, later ANZAC and Canadian HA.

What is niggling me is his record has no entry relating to any extension voluntary or otherwise beyond August 1917 (the 3 year point).  The question is was this simply an exigencies of war thing ie you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke?  Keep calm and soldier on  - or was there some Army Order along the way that simply isn't recorded in his docs? that formally overrode item 17 on his attestation form.

Light shedding gratefully received.

Max

30973_184244-01065.jpg

What is niggling me is his record has no entry relating to any extension voluntary or otherwise beyond August 1917 (the 3 year point).  The question is was this simply an exigencies of war thing ie you shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke? 

The MSA 1916 (session 2) retained men in service until they were released, some records will mention it but many don't.

Craig