The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS M2

Gunner 87

This real picture postcard is of the ill fated HMS M2. She was laid down in 1916 and initially fitted with a 12” gun as shown in this rare image. After her sister ship, the M1, was lost, the M2 was reassigned to experimental use and converted to carry a seaplane. On 26th January 1932 the M2 sunk with all hands while on exercise off the Dorset coast. A peice of wood was found floating on a nearby beach after the tragedy with ” Help M2 gone down No 2 hatch open” in pencil on one side and “HELP Lieut.” on the other.

m2f.jpg

m2b.jpg

I've dived on the M2, not inside as she is a war grave.

The hanger door is wide open - but I believe that was done by the salvage team when they dragged the plane out - and the hanger is mostly filled with silt

A very sobering dive

It must have been a very interesting but, as you say, sobering dive. Tragic that the crew were trapped and knew there was very little, or no chance of rescue. Do you know where the No 2 hatch was that is being referred to on the piece of wood? I understand one theory is the hangar door was open when the M2 started to dive, would that be No 2 hatch? Another is the stern hydroplanes malfunctioned causing her to sink backwards as witnessed by a passing ship, the Tynesider. 

We were told was that they were trying to beat their own time to getting the plane into the air and that the hanger was opened while the sub was still underwater, or not fully at a height where the door was clear of the water and the door from the hanger to the sub interior was also open, procedure was to have this door closed when the hanger was open.

I'm assuming that this is the No 2 door mentioned, when the water entered the hanger it would have gone straight into the sub with some force as the sub was still surfacing, so she would have still had some forward motion.

Part of the story was that the pilot was still strapped into the plane when she found and his was the only body recovered from the wreck, others must have been in the hanger, but I guess they were washed out and drifted away with the currents.

I believe that the force of the water and the upward angle of the sub (due to surfacing) would have caused the water to rush to the back causing her to become back heavy, causing more water to enter and the backward slide that was witnessed, I think most of the crew drowned due to the speed at which it happened.

She is still remarkably intact and the hatches are sealed over

That's very interesting and reading other accounts is almost certainly what happened. There's an image of the piece of wood with the message on if you go to the dive site Deeper Dorset, very sad. Appreciate your interest in the pic.