The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Coyle

ianjonesncl

Pals

I have had a request to help establish the service record of James Coyle. 

The information I have is he was issued with Sliver War Badge number B170370 and he possibly served with one of the Northumbrian Brigades Royal Field Artillery.

I have found the MIC of Bombardier James Coyle whose 1917  TF number is 770079 which I believe is in the block issued to the 50th Division Artillery Column. The MIC also shows he was issued with a SWB recorded on SWB List RA/5534. The entry also shows him being in 6th Reserve Brigade RFA which is where he may have been posted after being wounded.

Can anyone confirm to whom SWB B170370 was issued ?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Ian

Hi Ian,

770079 James Coyle appears to have been issued with badge number 502613. Badge number B170370 seems to have been issued to a JB Archer of the Army Pay Corps.

Regards

Chris

15 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

I have had a request to help establish the service record of James Coyle. 

The information I have is he was issued with Sliver War Badge number B170370 and he possibly served with one of the Northumbrian Brigades Royal Field Artillery.

I have found the MIC of Bombardier James Coyle whose 1917  TF number is 770079 which I believe is in the block issued to the 50th Division Artillery Column. The MIC also shows he was issued with a SWB recorded on SWB List RA/5534. The entry also shows him being in 6th Reserve Brigade RFA which is where he may have been posted after being wounded.

There is a pension ledger card on WFA/Fold3 for 770079 RFA b.1885 - disability, Pleurisy & bronchitis [rather than a wound] - lived at 14 Alexandra St., Seaham Harbour

There is also a much later widow's pension card Widow: Elizabeth Ann

Any help?

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo added pension 2nd card info

3 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Ian,

770079 James Coyle appears to have been issued with badge number 502613. Badge number B170370 seems to have been issued to a JB Archer of the Army Pay Corps.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Many than thanks. It looks like the SWB has come into he families possession and is not related to James Coyle. 

Ian

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

There is a pension ledger card on WFA/Fold3 for 770079 RFA b.1885 - disability, Pleurisy & bronchitis [rather than a wound] - lived at 14 Alexandra St., Seaham Harbour

Any help?

:-) M

Matlock

It certainly does help.

There is a potential family connection to Seaham and the 3rd Northumbrian Brigade had their HQ, a gun battery and the Brigade Ammunition column there. 

Ian