Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge identification help please

CharlieTB

Just found another photo in Lockdown 2 mission to identify and name another collection of old family photographs. Can anyone identify the cap badge for me please?

Charlie

George poss.jpeg

East Surrey Regiment, I'd say. Might possibly be 13th (Wandsworth) Battalion but more likely not.

Edited by Steven Broomfield

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

East Surrey Regiment, I'd say. Might possibly be 13th (Wandsworth) Battalion but more likely not.

Bang on the money Steven.  Quite a young fellow too.

I am still desperately trying to find out information about my great uncle. I posted another thread to find out about a previous photo found in the family collection. 8 out of the 9 children had portrait photos but there was nothing for brother George so I thought I had found something. The photos show a group of Engineers and experts on here identified the photo as post Sept 1919.

However we have just found this photo. George Stewart White would have been 17 years 11months at the Armstice. He was born 17 December 1900.  Family rumours said he joined the Black and Tans after the war but following help on this site there was no record of him having joined under his own name.  

He was born and lived in Northfleet in Kent and had little contact with the family after WW1 and nothing at all towards the end of WW2 leading the family to think he was an unidentified civilian casualty. 

I am aware that new recruits were moved into other regiments to fill in so I guess East Surrey from North East Kent is not impossible.  I will just keeping hoping that I find another clue somewhere which will give me some more information.

Thanks again for your help

Charlie

22 minutes ago, CharlieTB said:

I am still desperately trying to find out information about my great uncle. I posted another thread to find out about a previous photo found in the family collection. 8 out of the 9 children had portrait photos but there was nothing for brother George so I thought I had found something. The photos show a group of Engineers and experts on here identified the photo as post Sept 1919.

However we have just found this photo. George Stewart White would have been 17 years 11months at the Armstice. He was born 17 December 1900.  Family rumours said he joined the Black and Tans after the war but following help on this site there was no record of him having joined under his own name.  

He was born and lived in Northfleet in Kent and had little contact with the family after WW1 and nothing at all towards the end of WW2 leading the family to think he was an unidentified civilian casualty. 

I am aware that new recruits were moved into other regiments to fill in so I guess East Surrey from North East Kent is not impossible.  I will just keeping hoping that I find another clue somewhere which will give me some more information.

Thanks again for your help

Charlie

Are you positive it is who you think?  If you have a full name, date of birth and home town (ideally birth place) it would be unusual for one of the genealogical detectives here to not find some Army connection, even if just a skeleton record.  His extreme youth at the Armistice would ordinarily suggest that had he been serving that early he would probably have been in a 53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion of an infantry regiment.  However, the East Surrey Regiment had a small recruiting area and possessed neither, Young Soldier, nor Graduated battalions, which suggests that he was perhaps photographed after the war in one of the other battalions of the regiment.  If he served after 1921 then his record should survive.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Not positive about the photo although we cannot think of who else it might be in the family ( although we thought the same about the last photo). I have his birth certificate so can give these details - where is it best to post this on this thread or on the main other one for army? This was the previous one I found and I thought he was the one in the middle at the back.

Unknown soldiers WW1.jpeg

Edited by CharlieTB
Extra info

1 hour ago, CharlieTB said:

Not positive about the photo although we cannot think of who else it might be in the family ( although we thought the same about the last photo). I have his birth certificate so can give these details - where is it best to post this on this thread or on the main other one for army? This was the previous one I found and I thought he was the one in the middle at the back.

You’ve totally confused me now.  These men are Royal Engineers and not East Surrey Regiment.  I was engaged with you in the previous thread where you posted this photo and content that your relative was hatless at centre rear.  I think you are mixing personalities up.  The East Surrey lad looks nothing like any of the individuals in this group.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Absolutely.

The group photo I assumed was George as it was the only one in our family collection that we couldn't place or work out why it was there unless it was close family. It just seemed so strange that 8 of the 9 children had portrait style photos and George's was missing and this was the only photo that we couldn't identify why the family had it. Then  3 days ago my mum found the above portrait photo loose in a old unconnected album and wondered if that was actually the missing one for  George. We are clutching at straws really.

I tried looking for George  in the Royal Engineers after the first photo was identified ( and the lad in the centre certainly had a look of others in our family) but could not find anyone of his name  in FMP, Ancestry or FWR' s with the right dates so thought it might not be him after all. I also tried the advice about the Black and Tans and was told there was no-one of that name enlisted after the war. When we found this photo is we hoped that this might give us another lead but I have tried again but am not having much luck.

I am sorry about the confusion but we have so little to go and no labelled photos of him at any age for comparison. 

Charlie

Edited by CharlieTB
correction

20 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I think standard E Surrey, you can see turrets and not the shield of the Wandsworth ones.

1 minute ago, trenchtrotter said:

I think standard E Surrey, you can see turrets and not the shield of the Wandsworth ones.

That's why I said likely not. And on the balance of probabilities, 13th Battalion is far, far less likely.

Thank you - and now to work out whose photo this might be. I suspect not my great uncle. I will also take Frogsmile's advice and post George details in the soldier section as I have tried looking for information on a number of sites for him including Royal Engineers and now East Surrey as well as without a regiment but with no success. I had hoped that the photo may have given a link. Thank you all very much indeed for your help, it is very difficult as a novice to negotiate the various resources available and to find key information to take a search further. 

I have learnt a lot in a very short time!

Many thanks again

Charlie