The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lee Enfield disc identification

Gorton19

Hi just bought my first lee enfield attached is a picture of the Butt disc can anyone shed any light on the markings please thank you in advance 

Picture_20213004023008.jpg

20210105_110652.jpg

That is not one with which I am familiar, nor can I find any trace in the standard references.

Are there any signs of Indian use on the rifle? (eg an RF/date below the safety etc or other indications?). If so this would increase the options a lot.  I can't quite make out -- is there a metal reinforcing band at the back of fore-end (it looks as though there might be, but it may just be the tip of a brass rod reinforce I am seeing)

The trigger guard is interesting as it has neither a mount for additional sling swivel nor a wire loop for attaching an action cover, this is usually only the case on single loader or .410 musket conversions.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

45 minutes ago, Mk VII said:

Standard Small Arms one (or rather the body is).

or possibly NRF given it is 1918

@Gorton19 if you look down on the top of the rifle at that left hand side of the bolt-way you will probably see SSA (Standard Small Arms) as MkVII says - or possibly NRF (National Rifle Factory) which was the final version of this enterprise.

SSANRFstamp.jpg.b13fd74369f1efb45890d92af5a42966.jpg

SSANRFstamp2.jpg.d3f4b57a2481785c665ac74778b2ef65.jpg

Neither of which gives any help on the unit disc!  I still have absolutely no idea I can't even make one up that sounds reasonable let alone likely!

Chris