The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RogerWill

Attached is a photo of William  Rees Thomas who was temporarily granted the honorary rank of Captain in the RAMC with effect from 9 December 1914, while working in a hospital in Britain.  He  left the hospital in 1915 and was commissioned as a Temporary Lieutenant in the RAMC on 17 May 1915 and promoted  Temporary Captain  on 17 May 1916. He served with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force in Gallipoli from 14 August 1915 and later in Mesopotamia. He was MID at some point (not sure when) and demobilised (again not  sure when) following final  service in India in 1919, gaining an IGS bar Afghanistan  1919 for the latter. If  anyone has info on these two points of uncertainty  I'd be grateful.

In the photo, he seems to be wearing  three  pips signifying a Captain, but no obvious  collar badges. I  am wondering if this might be the uniform of an 'Honorary  Temp Captain'  rather than a 'Temporary Captain'. Can anybody comment on  this? Thanks.

Roger

William Rees Thomas, as a Captain, during the Great War (courtesy Tim Rees-Thomas).jpg

• 1 month later...

Not answering your question - but this appears to be him from the RCP

https://history.rcplondon.ac.uk/inspiring-physicians/william-rees-thomas

:-) M

Hi Matlock, yes indeed, this is my chap.

It would be good to  hear if the absence of collar badges has any significance on the uniform is of any significance...