The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Camouflage Suits

JohnC

Whilst looking through TNA’s war diary of 145th Brigade I noticed mention of ‘a patrol attired in camouflage suits’. Photo of entry attached, June 3rd, 1917. It reads as a daylight foray into no-mans-land. The use of the word suits implies that they were a designed item, not just ad-hoc additions to normal uniform. Does anyone have information on these ‘camouflage suits’? I’ve read of painted scrim sniper suits, and experimental dazzle camouflage suits, but neither of these sound  suitable for a daylight patrol.

4100F5DB-E085-468A-B88F-29721FEA8DDF.png

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Whilst looking through TNA’s war diary of 145th Brigade I noticed mention of ‘a patrol attired in camouflage suits’. Photo of entry attached, June 3rd, 1917. It reads as a daylight foray into no-mans-land. The use of the word suits implies that they were a designed item, not just ad-hoc additions to normal uniform. Does anyone have information on these ‘camouflage suits’? I’ve read of painted scrim sniper suits, and experimental dazzle camouflage suits, but neither of these sound  suitable for a daylight patrol.

d499dfcf3f28dc987020cc2fae373e2d.jpg

Possibly something along the lines of the suit pictured on the right.

Some of the early British snipers were men who had been employed as gamekeepers and ghillies pre-war. (Photo from Pinterest).

The second image showing the suit compared to British uniform is from "Sniping in France" by Major Hesketh Pritchard DSO MC.

Sniper WW1 (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Thank you. The one on the right is what I imagined, some sort of overall or boiler suit. Although for patrol operations it would have to allow access to pockets and pouches, and not impair visibility. I found the pictures below in the 1918 manual of camouflage. Also a 1917 experimental dazzle sniper suit.

4BE3011F-F355-4E5A-AA95-7E4EB011C693.jpeg

EC291D39-5A20-487B-AD2A-97458992A35B.jpeg

15EF4B79-17CA-4DFD-9087-2C5E8C20051F.png