The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 artillery shell identification

Neil81

Evening all,

Recently came across the two following items, while clearing out my parents loft. The lighter i know isn't WW1 because of the date stamped on the main cartidge, don't know about the base, took it apart to clean it and get working again, I would like to identify the base and the main shell if possible, but i digress, the main shell case is roughly 90mm across the bottom and roughly 230mm high, I say roughly because it's not very easy to be accurate because of the splayed out top. Also on the casing is a picture one one side and the words Cambrai on the other side sorry can't see them clearly in the pics, i've attached a pic of the bottom, and from what i can gather it's a German shell possibly from 7,7 cm Feldkanone 96 and Feldkanone 16
St = Strengthened case
277 = LOT number

HL = Haniel Luege Düsseldorf (brass factory),
G = inspector 
31 = Inspection mark 

67%Cu=Composition ?

Nov 1917= month and year of manufacture

I just wondered if someone is able to confirm this for me

Many Thanks Neil

p.s. do i clean the shell or not?

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

45 minutes ago, Neil81 said:

7,7 cm Feldkanone 96 and Feldkanone 16
St = Strengthened case
277 = LOT number

HL = Haniel Luege Düsseldorf (brass factory),
G = inspector 
31 = Inspection mark 

67%Cu=Composition ?

Nov 1917= month and year of manufacture

Welcome to the forum Neil, I think you've done pretty well identifying the case yourself. 67%Cu is the copper content of the brass used. 

Thanks Jay, bit of digging and found another site a great help identifying, be nice to know if it was used during the battle Cambrai, age and date of the case is the right era, could possibly be "trench art". Who knows.

HL31 = inspected and passed by inspector 31 at the Hauptlaboratorium, Ingolstadt, Bavaria.

G = manufactured by Württembergische Metallwarenfabrik, Geisslingen. Baden-Wurttenberg.

It was probably made as a battlefield souvenir for tourists after WWI and may or may not have anything to do with the Battle of Cambrai.

:thumbsup: It is indeed!