The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gewehr 88 with M1871 bayonet.

AugustaNR4

Hello everyone,

Here is my gewehr 88 with model 1871 bayonet, which I received in the mail today. Everything is original, right down to the parade bracket on the sling. I decided to put the sling in the parade set up because I know it most likely won't hold the weight of the gewehr. It's more of an aesthetic piece. A fine start to the pre-ww1 and ww1 collection! 

Enjoy!

20210304_142633.jpg

20210304_142640.jpg

20210304_142646.jpg

Very nice! I have a Danzig 1891 Gew 88 as well as a Soemmerda Model 1871 Mauser that I’ve wanted to find the M71 bayonet for. I recently bought what I thought was an M71, but it turned out to be an S60 Fusellier bayo for a Dreyse rifle. These were also used on 1871 Mauser and Gew 88s, but had a bushing   Installed that helped it fit tight on the barrel end.

1 minute ago, Hickman said:

Very nice! I have a Danzig 1891 Gew 88 as well as a Soemmerda Model 1871 Mauser that I’ve wanted to find the M71 bayonet for. I recently bought what I thought was an M71, but it turned out to be an S60 Fusellier bayo for a Dreyse rifle. These were also used on 1871 Mauser and Gew 88s, but had a bushing   Installed that helped it fit tight on the barrel end.

Thank you! :D 

My 88 is a Erfurt 1890. She served with Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier Nr.4, the bayo with the 19th infantrie. Finding this M1871 was hard actually, didn't want to pay 400+ bucks for one. Can you blame me? 

After spending a few hours scouting Ebay, I found this guy who thought he had a model 1891 argentine bayonet for 50 bucks. Boy, clicked that "Buy it now" button fast. Didnt come with the scabbard but I'm ok with that. For 50 bucks, I'm not complaining!! :lol: 

But yeah, I did hear about their common use on 88's. So after digging through some original Augusta photos, I came to the conclusion that this particular rifle must've had this bayo originally. Of course, when ww1 started the men of K.A.R might've been issued different bayonets. Can't say for sure. 

Thanks for your reply! 

That shows the impressive length the 88’ with the S71 make. Thanks for sharing