Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help please regarding this cap badge??

potty5

Hi guys, please forgive clarity of photo, but any idea of the cap badge this soldier is wearing? I've never come across it before. Mark.

EDWARD RILEY 1234.jpg

Difficult.  Top edge looks more like a crown, rather than POW feathers.  So South Staffs? 

Is that a recruiting ribbon behind or lens flare? 

P.S.  I've seen a similar " ribbon like" object  behind a cap badge very recently on this forum,  @FROGSMILE will probably remember. the exact details.  

27 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Difficult.  Top edge looks more like a crown, rather than POW feathers.  So South Staffs? 

To my eyes there appears to be no scroll evident (unless it's hiding under the cap band) and he's wearing a bandolier which would suggest to me Staffordshire Yeomanry rather than either of the infantry regiments.

Steve   

27 minutes ago, SteveE said:

To my eyes there appears to be no scroll evident (unless it's hiding under the cap band) and he's wearing a bandolier which would suggest to me Staffordshire Yeomanry rather than either of the infantry regiments.

Steve   

Good spot.  That's a strong possibility.  The crown is relatively large here,  like the yeomanry.   The South Staffs Crown is smaller. 

In WW1 the Staffordshire Yeomanry still favoured a brass cap badge with a notably large Victorian crown as a regimental idiosyncrasy.  I don’t think I can see such a large crown in the OP photo, but as per usual I’m only looking on a phone screen.  It might then be South Staffordshire Regiment battalion transport section man.  If there really are ribbons behind the badge and it’s not some kind of photographic flaw or light diffusion causing visual distortion, then they are recruiting ribbons of red, white and blue.  The latter were a very old tradition going back several hundred years.

93507F89-76B2-4024-AEC7-8A6FDD16FD9B.jpeg

C7628769-F39F-4ABC-9070-DD8F65F6A171.jpeg

2B0AF2E2-828A-4F32-95A4-7EDF94C217AF.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

There is also he fact that there is no sign of collar badges.  Another point to South Staffs Transport?  

28 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

There is also he fact that there is no sign of collar badges.  Another point to South Staffs Transport?  

On balance yes, as cavalry were more partial to collar badges during the war and before universal adoption in the 1920s.  If they are recruiting ribbons (and I can’t see them well enough to be positive), they were very much a feature of regular army recruiting and I can’t say I’ve even seen their use by TF.