The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Looking for AIF Returned Soldier Badge (Image)

InkyV

I am writing a local history book about a village in Shetland and would like to include a photo of an AIF returned soldier badge, as it relates to the story of one young man who emigrated to Australia. I can find many images online in museums, however, they are copyrighted and it is costly to get reproduction rights. 

I wonder if anyone would be willing to share a close up image (preferably on a white background) of one of these badges from their personal collection, and grant me permission to use it for free. I would be happy to include your name as a photo credit in the book.

Here is an example of the badge I am looking for: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL39658

Let me know if you would like any further information. Thanks in advance!

Hi InkyV

I'll happily take a hi res copy for you.

No need to credit me (perhaps you can credit the GWforum)

Here's a snap for now just to confirm I have the right badge?

Let me know if there are any particulars in terms of the image/background etc

Cheers

Chris

1487522615_AIFbadge.jpg.1d5b42dffa5e5269609e7b003846df9c.jpg

Btw the badges are serial numbered on the back - do you need a reverse shot too?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Yes, that is the badge that I am looking for. The front is just fine, no need for the back. In terms of background, just plain white as you did is great. I'm happy to credit the GW Forum - what a great resource! Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Karen

OK -- so how best to get you the image?

I think I can PM (private message) you a file -- I will try.

I just took a couple of snaps so I will see if they get to you.

Chris

Hi Chris, your image is slightly better than mine!  I found this one in Adelaide around 1969 while taking a shortcut through someone's backyard (I was a bit younger & ruder then...).  A lady we only saw occasionally always dressed in black had obviously burned her husband's effects and this was lying next to the incinerator.  

image.png.c239142ae98ec5b15c4da315f8986132.png

I found mine in a junk shop....errrr ....."Olde Antique Boutique of fine and collectable goods" in the US. I am always intrigued how such things migrate around the world.

I have built up a little collection over the years....but none with quite such a good story.

DSC_7537.jpg.eea24a1748450852fa734359a74fb930.jpg