Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying Regiment/ Information

Jack2020

Hello,

In my family possession is a photo of an unidentified soldier in uniform. Originally we believed it to be my great grandfather however we have since found another photo which contradicts it. Sadly there are no discernible cap badges or shoulder titles I can see. 

The only thing I could possibly think of is the buttons. Any experts out there that could help find any identifiable information from this image?

IMG-20210811-WA0000.jpg

37 minutes ago, Jack2020 said:

Hello,

In my family possession is a photo of an unidentified soldier in uniform. Originally we believed it to be my great grandfather however we have since found another photo which contradicts it. Sadly there are no discernible cap badges or shoulder titles I can see. 

The only thing I could possibly think of is the buttons. Any experts out there that could help find any identifiable information from this image?

IMG-20210811-WA0000.jpg

The buttons look to be the General Service pattern worn by most of the other ranks in the British Army so they are a non-runner in recognising any particular regiment.      Pete.

I second Pete’s assessment and identification of the GS buttons.  When photos like that are retained in a family they are often brothers or cousins.  If you examine your family tree you might well be able to narrow things down to one or two likely candidates.  Did your great grandfather have any siblings?

Edited by FROGSMILE