The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cap Badge Identification Please

leamkatie

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. It's a naval badge, but I'm not sure which, @FROGSMILEmight be able to assist more. 

I think Royal Naval Division.

Yes it’s Royal Naval Division I think.  Army SD uniform worn with officers service dress bronze insignia.  They had Army rank usually on shoulder straps and Naval rank using khaki braid on cuffs.  This double ranking made them quite distinctive.

F9464633-92ED-4A9D-B733-B8262669C0FB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

59 minutes ago, leamkatie said:

Thank you very much for all your replies.

That gives me a lead to go on, thank you.

I know that we’re all glad to help Katie.  The full title on the Western Front (as per your man’s dress) was the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.  It was broken down into numbered brigades, each of which contained battalions named after famous Admirals, e.g. Drake, Benbow, Howe, Collingwood, etc.  Given his junior rank it’s likely that your man was with one of these.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Think it's one of his pips. 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Think it's one of his pips. 

Thanks for that.

aim

P.S. I've noticed I'm not coming up on the "Recently Browsing" list at the bottom of topics in the last few days. Is this important?

• Admin

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The full title on the Western Front (as per your man’s dress) was the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

Thanks again for all you help.

We have visitors over the weekend, not seen sister in law for over a year, so not much time to research just now.

The photo is supposed to be a missing father of one of my relatives surname possibly Waite. I checked TNA medal roll for 63rd Div and found quite a few, so I need to look into it further. Your help has been invaluable.

K

5 minutes ago, leamkatie said:

Thanks again for all you help.

We have visitors over the weekend, not seen sister in law for over a year, so not much time to research just now.

The photo is supposed to be a missing father of one of my relatives surname possibly Waite. I checked TNA medal roll for 63rd Div and found quite a few, so I need to look into it further. Your help has been invaluable.

K

Glad to help Katie.  Good luck with your research, it will be interesting to learn more if you do find out in due course.