The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

52 (Niagara) Battery, Royal Artillery

GLind87

Hi all, anybody able to trace 52 Bty's lineage back to the Great War? Haven't been able to find much. One source I've seen puts them in XV Bde, RA with 5th Division in F+F in 1914. However, at the bty's suspended animation ceremony in 2015, it was mentioned the bty had Dardanelles campaign credits — perhaps from an absorbed unit?

Any info would be appreciated, cheers.

XV Brigade Royal Field Artillery was 5th Division. This included 52 Battery. The 5th Division served only on the Western Front.

XV Brigade Royal Horse Artillery was 29th Division from early 1915. This brigade served in Gallipoli. 

• 3 months later...

GLind87,

this is from my notes.

August 1921: 19th Medium Battery RGA formed from 17th Siege Battery (late 17th Company RGA).

August 1928: 19th Medium Battery nomenclature renamed 19 (Niagara) Med Bty RA.

Subsequently became 52 (Niagara) Med Bty RA.

Full History of Niagara bty is held by the Royal Arty Museum Larkhill; their internal ref: UR/342

UR/342

Laws 67

70 MEDIUM BATTERY [52 (NIAGARA) MEDIUM BATTERY RA]

-Historical Reports 1794-1969

-Property inventory 1967-72

-File re: change of Unit designation 1968-69

Rgds Paul

• 1 year later...

Seeing you are looking at 52nd Battery RFA, I wonder if you or anyone else may be able to shed some light on this matter. It does precede the Great War by 10 years and was serving in India prior to the Great War.

Driver W. Marr, 52nd Bty RFA (I have no regimental number for him)

Royal Humane Society Bronze medal for Life saving.  Pulled a fellow soldier out of a tank (water tank) in India in 1904. A successful rescue.

Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal

Date:  January 1904

Case number:  33201

Rescued Gunner W Williamson RFA from a tank while bathing at Camp Babina, India, on the 13th January 1904.

Any data on him or the incident would be appreciated., as there are no soldiers' papers found. 

• 10 months later...

On a grave in Warrington Cemetery is a commemoration for Ernest Horrabin, of the 52nd Field Battery, Royal Artillery, who died at Jubbulpore, India on March 27th 1900 (? - the lead letters are missing - but that's what it looks like).