The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Neuve Chapelle

Michelle Young

You may be interested in some information regarding Major Harrison.

He was born in 1878 and was gazetted to the Rifle brigade in 1898. He joined the 2nd Battalion in Crete and from there proceeded to South Africa where he served throughout the defence of Ladysmith, took part in the sortie on Surprise Hill and the action on Wagon Hill where he was slightly wounded. He was also at the actions at Laings Nek, Bergendal and the operations near Lyndenburg where he served with the Mounted Infantry and later on as Station Staff Officer. He received the Queen's Medal with three clasps, the King's Medal with two clasps and was mentioned in Despatches. He became Lieutenant in April 1900 and was promoted Captain 1904 while in India. He was promoted Major in 1914 and was killed in action at Neuve Chapelle three and a half months later. Major Harrison was married to the daughter of Sir E. F. Wodehouse, K.C.V.O., C.B., and had a son and a daughter.

Below is a photograph of the Harrison family house in Oxfordshire where Cecil Harrison spent his childhood. Since it was sold by Cecil's mother in the 1920s the house has been used by the BBC ( George Orwell worked there at one time) and as a School.

post-38-1112607180.jpg

Myrtle,

Thanks for posting this. I was interested to see where Major Harrison lived.

Thanks

Alan

Bob,

A little more on Lt. Pilcher if it is of interest from the Rifle Brigade Chronicles of 1915

Lieutenant T.P. Pilcher

Thomas Percy Pilcher was the second son of Major-General T.B. Pilcher, C.B., and was born 25th October 1893 and educated at Wellington and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. He was gazetted to the Regiment 4th September 1911 and served with the 2nd Battalion in India and embarked with it for France in November 1914. A few days later, on 16thNovember 1914, he was promoted Lieutenant. He was killed whilst leading his platoon in action at Neuve Chapelle.

His name has been twice sent in by his Commanding Officer, once for a successful night reconnaissance and one for gallantry. Over two months after his death his name appeared in Sir John French's despatch of 31st May 1915.

Andy

Bob,

He was gazetted to the Regiment 4th September 1911 and served with the 2nd Battalion in India and embarked with it for France in November 1914. A few days later, on 16thNovember 1914, he was promoted Lieutenant.

Andy

He waits three years to get his full lt, then gets to Major in a few months! Just shows the casualty rates on regular officers. When you say Major, you think old, yet he was twenty two!

regards

Arm.

• 2 weeks later...
He waits three years to get his full lt, then gets to Major in a few months! Just shows the casualty rates on regular officers. When you say Major, you think old, yet he was twenty two!

regards

Arm.

Andy/ Arm

Apologiies for not thanking you sooner, but I've been in France. All most interesting, & sobering how rapid the necessity became to 'promote' experienced men,

Bob

regards

Arm.

Are you mixing up Lt. Pilcher with Major Harrison as the latter was approx. 36 years old when he was made a major ?

Myrtle,

That seems to be the case here as Pilcher never got above Lieutenant in rank.

Andy

A newspaper snippet for those interested

Glyn

post-5500-1114789206.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hello,

We faisont tres soon a historic ride with my association " L' Alloeu terre de batailles 14-18 "

( http://latb1418.free.fr/crbst_3.html ) and we go to this cemetery I would like to speak about these officers: it would be formidable to have a photo of their portraits! Would anybody have it?

It would be really very kind!

If somebody desire a photo of sepulture in our sector, I can take her and send her with pleasure.

best regard

Loïc

• 10 months later...

Remembering Major C. E. Harrison 2nd Bn. Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) who was killed in action at Neuve Chapelle 14th March 1915.

Hello Myrtle,

An old thread I know but can I ask why you are remembering Major Harrison in particular? Is there a family connection? I only ask as I have been looking at him in connection with his father's building of Shiplake Court near Henley-on-Thames.

Best wishes,

Jon

Hello Myrtle,

I only ask as I have been looking at him in connection with his father's building of Shiplake Court near Henley-on-Thames.

Best wishes,

Jon

Through the same connection. Major Harrison lived there as a child.

Regards

Myrtle

Through the same connection. Major Harrison lived there as a child.

Regards

Myrtle

Dear Myrtle,

Many thanks. I Thought you may have had family connections. The house - now Skipwith House of Shiplake College - is indeed very imposing and occupies a beautiful spot on the banks of the Thames.

Best wishes,

Jon

Dear Myrtle,

Many thanks. I Thought you may have had family connections. The house - now Skipwith House of Shiplake College - is indeed very imposing and occupies a beautiful spot on the banks of the Thames.

Best wishes,

Jon

Yes Jon, a beautiful spot. You may have noticed that Major Harrison's mother, is mentioned on the CWGC site as living at Wargrave, the other side of the Thames.