Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify Cap Badge please

Simon J Emmerson

Good Afternoon Folks. I have to confess I've hit a mental brick wall when been able to identify a King Royal Rifle Corps badge and that of the 6th City of London cap badge. Can anyone please confirm the Regiment of the chap in the photograph please. 

Regards Simon 

20210906_160456.jpg

20210906_160609.jpg

It’s KRRC, Simon.  Battle honours on the four arms of the cross.  On 6th London’s just a few words on upper arm.

0DEBF681-E522-4D03-8872-1F3435FE3DB0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

The red cloth backing giving it away as KRRC

Hi Jay, didn't the 6th have a red backing too? 

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s KRRC, Simon.  Battle honours on the four arms of the cross.  On 6th London’s just a few hours on upper arm.

418A7FA8-D857-46DA-9E2F-FCFC98838A08.jpeg

Thank you once again for your help. I do have a Jewellers Glass somewhere. I've a mountain of KRRC postcards to get through. Some are obvious others I'm not too sure about. The London Photographer address sometimes makes me wonder if their to a London Regiment. 

Regards Simon 

3 hours ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

I’m not sure to be honest Simon and I can’t find a reference to them wearing a red backing, I just remember the KRRC did

3 hours ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Yes they did most definitely, although not consistently so, especially in the line, but that was just the same as KRRC.  Early in the war it was a convenient flash of colour for any enemy marksman and in any case difficult to keep clean and soldier-like.

4DEB2BD8-17FA-488A-A9A1-7C3887D01576.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Thanks for that Frogsmile, appreciated as always. 

Glad to help Jay and I totally understand the slight confusion.  

17 hours ago, Simon J Emmerson said:

Thank you once again for your help. I do have a Jewellers Glass somewhere. I've a mountain of KRRC postcards to get through. Some are obvious others I'm not too sure about. The London Photographer address sometimes makes me wonder if their to a London Regiment. 

Regards Simon 

I will be very happy to help you with the interpretation of your photos Simon.  I have seen some of your collection online and they are excellent.

NB.  It might be possible to trace the fate of W Marston, the KRRC soldier in your opening photo given that his home address is also mentioned.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I will be very happy to help you with the interpretation of your photos Simon.  I have seen some of your collection online and they are excellent.

NB.  It might be possible to trace the fate of W Marston, the KRRC soldier in your opening photo given that his home address is also mentioned.

Thank you. Yes I'll take a look on Ancestry