The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS victory ll

Bryanfromglasgow

Good evening all, 

Hopefully you can help at a newbie here. As my gran nears her final years I took it upon myself to look into her family past. 

Didnt realise how obsessed I would become with it. 

My great great grandfather served on HMS victory ll 3 times between 1916 and 1918 with stints on HMS kosmos and "assistance" which I assume is also HMS assistance. He seems to be have been relieved on duties due to what seems to read "shake of hands" which I imagine would have been shell shock? Or PTSD. He was 26 when he first boarded HMS victory.

I would love to give my gran some more info on her grandfather and what he may have done on the ships.. 

If anyone can shed any light from the limited info above I would be eternally grateful. 

Regards GBM_ADM188_1062_0_0092.jpg.11a567e0eaca5949d06f39c2d20b3f74.jpg

Edited by Bryanfromglasgow

22 minutes ago, Bryanfromglasgow said:

He seems to be have been relieved on duties due to what seems to read "shake of hands"

It reads Shore on Demob (demobilisation)

He was demobilised on the 5th May 1919 as hostilities had ceased

An Acting Engine Room Artificer 4th Class, he was drafted to the RN Barracks at Portsmouth when shown as borne on the books of HMS VICTORY II. His other drafts were, as noted, to HMS ASSISTANCE, a repair ship based at Scapa Flow and to HMS KOSMOS, a depot ship based at Le Havre.

31 minutes ago, Bryanfromglasgow said:

He seems to be have been relieved on duties due to what seems to read "shake of hands" which I imagine would have been shell shock? Or PTSD.

The entry actually reads as @RaySearching has noted and has nothing to do with his state of health.

He claimed his British War and Victory medals after discharge.

Edited by horatio2

@horatio2 that's amazing thank you! What would you expect some of his duties to have included on HMS victory? I'm incredibly impressed at how quickly you guys can take the information, took me about an hour to work out the word "hostilities" 

His initial draft to VICTORY would have been mainly courses to introduce him to RN procedures and standards. He was already a qualified fitter so any technical training would have been proportionate. His second VICTORY draft was as a supernumerary rating between sea drafts and may have included additional training or employment in his trade, as required.

18 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

His initial draft to VICTORY would have been mainly courses to introduce him to RN procedures and standards. He was already a qualified fitter so any technical training would have been proportionate. His second VICTORY draft was as a supernumerary rating between sea drafts and may have included additional training or employment in his trade, as required.

Amazing thank you so much. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/39223-hms-kosmos/

The old thread above describes HMS Kosmos used as a Minesweeper so he was presumably trained for those duties among other things.  HMS Assistance was a repair ship, for which (as an engine room fitter) he would be well-qualified, and (as a CPO) in charge of small work parties of men making repairs and perhaps upgrades to other ships.