The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ww1 german 1898 pipeback bayonet

josh2345678

Hi there, just picked this up from my local antique shop wanted to confirm with others the date if it is 1901 it is the early single  pice wood grip dont know if they are rare or not but in terms of the date I cant tell if it's a 1 or a 7 I thought they stopped making them in 1902 any information or knowledge you may have would be much appreciated  thank you.20220102_125234.jpg.58283e8efe97d217b31b7c6f085f64c5.jpg

20220102_125121.jpg

20220102_125125.jpg

20220102_125135.jpg

20220102_125150.jpg

16411586692137887649571579927647.jpg

1641158958968523587025989337631.jpg

Edited by josh2345678

This looks like a nice bayonet, the date should be 01. For 1901. S.98aA, the later two piece grips is S.98nA.  Being the age of the internet, Many things that were RARE are now scarce. Still the original ones are more valuable than two piece ones. I believe the “ Fakturs”, acceptance stamps like the two on your pommel differed between the German States. I have some As.98’s with smaller stamps and other’s, large type like your piece here. Yours are nice and clear. Also on bolt heads and washers.Grips in nice shape

there are 6 to 8 variations I can think of off hand.   
one piece grip S.98aA.   Plain blade.      
 98aAS , saw backed.        
Wnd both of these,  it with flash guard added for 4 variations, then the same for the S.98nA, two piece grips for 8 variations.   

We collectors love any variations, no matter how small, so with the long slim leather scabbards were getting bent fairly easy, a substitute or Ersatz ALL steel scabbard.these steel scabbards were not unit marked, but add to the S.98 variations and yes, more types/ variations to steel scabbards. Then collect by different units, so these S.98 can easily be a collection by themselves 

Again, nice bayonet there, thanks for posting

04B833B7-D5AB-427E-925D-B14E3050499F.jpeg

C8613DFC-6213-46AE-87FF-185ACCFD2549.jpeg

Edited by Steve1871

That is a very impressive collection Steve! I don't even have one of these early models... :mellow: And now that Turkey has really stamped down on importing bayonets, etc., after a woman was murdered by a madman with a locally bought imitation samurai sword, I doubt if I will ever get one. The police are also getting heavy with regard to selling bayonets, etc., locally and collections might soon be at risk if not registered... 

Nice S98aA made by Erfurt, the early production from 1901, the piece went per Revision Control, so there could be explanation of different proofs on pommel. It should be a depot spare piece as no unit marking on crossguard, which is strange by early S98 production.

Hey Josh, maybe I got your Curiosity up for you to look into collecting these S.98 Quillback/pipe back bayonets? Most are not too expensive.  I have yet to find a single S.98 with a flash guard

Julian, I can only hope that Turkey will not hamper you too much, These Pointy things have been your Passion for a very long time

11 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Julian, I can only hope that Turkey will not hamper you too much, These Pointy things have been your Passion for a very long time

Fingers crossed! Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

... I have yet to find a single S.98 with a flash guard

Not quite as rare as hen's teeth but not far from it. By mid-late 1915, when the flashguard was authorised for all bayonets fixable to the Gew.98 most S.98 had been withdrawn from front-line service

🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

22 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Hey Josh, maybe I got your Curiosity up for you to look into collecting these S.98 Quillback/pipe back bayonets? Most are not too expensive.  I have yet to find a single S.98 with a flash guard

Steve1871, I have been collecting ww1/ww2 bayonets for a few years now but I cant say I have come across a S.98 with flash guard.

Yea, I do not know if I ever will? Guess we can’t have it all, just wish we could

The S98 was destined for long Gew98, so there were no needs to apply flashguard, only in case by using on Kar98AZ would be needed add flashguard to protect grips from muzzle blast, but majority of Kar98AZ were equiped with shorter bayonets, as no reason for short carbine add a 52 cm long quilback blade of S98.

True Andy, but with such huge battles, when Germans lost them, they lost huge amounts of equipment, artillery, rifles, BAYONETS. Even in 1916 and possibly 1917, the German Depots and various supply units sent out what they had on hand in that area, not worrying which item was correct by regulations. The so called “ second line” units using the 98AZ were often drawn into the front to make up losses. We all have seen photos. Yes the 84/98, and the fairly Long  S.14 ( used flash guards)were.With battles lasting so long. , I believe some armors would have requested, got them, added to the S.98, I agree that it would have been a small number of these

13 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

The S98 was destined for long Gew98, so there were no needs to apply flashguard, only in case by using on Kar98AZ would be needed add flashguard to protect grips from muzzle blast, but majority of Kar98AZ were equiped with shorter bayonets, as no reason for short carbine add a 52 cm long quilback blade of S98.

12 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

True Andy, but with such huge battles, when Germans lost them, they lost huge amounts of equipment, artillery, rifles, BAYONETS. Even in 1916 and possibly 1917, the German Depots and various supply units sent out what they had on hand in that area, not worrying which item was correct by regulations. The so called “ second line” units using the 98AZ were often drawn into the front to make up losses. We all have seen photos. Yes the 84/98, and the fairly Long  S.14 ( used flash guards)were.With battles lasting so long. , I believe some armors would have requested, got them, added to the S.98, I agree that it would have been a small number of these

An order was issued by the Prussian KM on 3rd September that all units issued with the Kar.98 and the S.98 should have flashguards fitted to these, and a similar order was given by the Bavarian KM on 31st December 1915.  

Of the 400 or so S.98 Carter personally recorded only about 20 had flashguards, almost all of them marked to regular infantry units. However, his opinion was that probably only one of these had the flasguard fitted when it was with a serving front-line unit, the rest being fitted when these S.98, having been withdsrawn from front-line service,  were re-issued to rear echelon units and the original unit markings had been left in place. Only one example was actually marked to a rear-echelon unit, the Bavarian Bezirkskommando at Erlangen.  

Julian