The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charles Peck, Bugler, Royal Marine Light Infantry

seaJane

Just posting this here as a curiosity; I found an envelope in the last archive box I checked, on the day I retired, and thought people might be interested in it and its contents.

Charles Peck's attestation pack can't be downloaded from TNA, but the Discovery catalogue says "ADM 157/2708/30 - Description: Folios 303 - 307: Charles Peck, born: Gosport, Hampshire; Age at attestation: 14; Attested: Gosport; Joined in: 1911; Discharge reason: Invalided at RN Hospital Haslar; Discharge year: 1917."

His service record could be downloaded, and I add it here.

The autographs are on the back of the invitation card. I read them as follows:

Eugénie Godfrey-Faussett (wife of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Godfrey-Faussett) / Bridget Keppel https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/AUTH227495 / Violet V???? / Alexandria? / ???? Lister Kaye / Hedworth Meux https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedworth_Meux / Lily Lincolnshire.

Box 7-17-2 association - Charles Peck service record.jpg

Box 7-17-2a, Charles Peck bugler envelope.jpg

Box 7-17-2b, Charles Peck bugler pass.jpg

Box 7-17-2 Charles Peck bugler invitation.jpg

Box 7-17-2 Charles Peck bugler autographs.jpg

Edited by seaJane

Interesting discovery!

For what it's worth, 2 of the autographs that you partially got I would say are:

- Violet Vivian

- Natica Lister Kaye

Well spotted Neil!

2nd from the bottom is AF Sir Hedworth Meux

edit to add: Top signature is Eugénie, the wife of Sir Bryan Godfrey-Faussett [Wiki gossips that she had a decade long affair with Beatty]

edit II: The last name, “Lily Lincolnshire,” could be the Cecilia, Marchioness of Lincolnshire

edit III: 2nd from the top - Lady Bridget Keppel was the wife of Sir Derek Keppel, the Master of the Household

Edited by michaeldr

On 07/01/2022 at 17:11, Neil 2242 said:

Violet Vivian

- Natica Lister Kaye

Thank you! Here is Violet Vivian https://www.rct.uk/collection/2930998/the-honourable-violet-vivian-d-1962

Natica Lister-Kaye https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person/mp101723/natica-nee-yznaga-lady-lister-kaye

On 07/01/2022 at 17:19, michaeldr said:

Hedworth Meux

Thanks Michael, I'd got all the others (the links are at the top of my post) except that I could not find a link for Lily Lincolnshire. She does definitely crop up as Lily Lincolnshire in some Google Books references but it may be a nickname, I suppose.

On 07/01/2022 at 18:01, Neil 2242 said:

"Alexandra".... could this be the dowager queen, mother of George V?

Thank you! That does look right. And I should have recognised that one; my former colleagues of the QARNNS Archive have a signed engraved portrait of her in their office.

On 07/01/2022 at 20:28, Neil 2242 said:

They crowded round Queen Alexandra while she busily autographed the programmes

It must have been quite a show. Thank you for the link! That's going on the archive notes.

Much obliged to everyone for their thoughts.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

Hi SJ,

Sorry about the duplication. I was carried away by the thrill of the hunt (and no doubt by the unaccustomed glass at lunchtime  :unsure:)

A fascinating topic. Thanks

6 hours ago, michaeldr said:

carried away by the thrill of the hunt

Happens to all of us some time or another!

This seems to be him - the dates and place fit although the middle name isn't recorded: "passed peacefully away" November 1919.

He is not on CWGC, but FreeBMD has him born and dying in Alverstoke.

https://rmhistorical.com/DAPShowGraveFile.php?id=1823

Further, this, which says he died "from the effects of wounds received in the Dardanelles."

I've checked again and he definitely isn't on CWGC. Is this an "in from the cold" case?

Charles Peck's funeral.jpg

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Is this an "in from the cold" case?

Possibly. You'd need to buy the DC to see what he actually died of and if it was war-related. 2 1/2 years is a long time. Good luck with it

12 hours ago, Bardess said:

Possibly. You'd need to buy the DC to see what he actually died of and if it was war-related. 2 1/2 years is a long time. Good luck with it

I'd agree with this comment.

The newspaper article would be a useful supporting document, but what the death certificate says will be key. It's all about what you can prove from primary sources.

Not directly relevant, but he seems to be mentioned in the log of HMS Grafton when transferred to the hospital ship Gloucester Castle....though not by name.

Scroll down to 4 Jan 1916.

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Grafton.htm

1 hour ago, Neil 2242 said:

4 Jan 1916.

Thanks for that, it seems entirely probable that the bugler is him.

I've ordered a copy of the death certificate.

sJ

There is a Pension Card for Charles Peck. No ledgers turned up in index. (WFA)

757986591_PeckCharles(Po15946).jpg.2dbb461ffb2bdf144dc4a8966ffeefef.jpg

544433770_PeckCharles(Po15946)b.jpg.1a634a9b939101f18a29343ff752c92e.jpg

RM

Edited by rolt968

6 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Pension Card for Charles Peck

Thanks Roger!

Still waiting on the death certificate - can't remember how long they said it would take.

seaJane

Hi All,

Just to confirm ......

1911 census Charles Benjamin Peck at 13 Whitworth Rd., Gosport (Pension Card address) with his parents and siblings including Henry George his elder brother as per grave details . Tree on Ancestry.

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry. House is still there, viz Google Street View:

13 Whitworth Road Gosport.png

1). Pulmonary tuberculosis

2). Cardiac failure.

I don't think that's going to cut it with the CWGC. Heigh-ho.

IMG_20220115_114612.jpg

That's a pity.

A vague possibility. Do we actually know his condition when he was discharged? He may have had TB.

I have looked for a Silver War Badge entry and haven't found one.

RM

His Silver War Badge was numbered RN 9152.

The entry doesn't add any further information though.

CBPeck.jpg

Edited by Neil 2242

Shame about the death certificate. Unless we can somehow show that the TB was contracted on war service.

Newspaper articles are suggestive but nothing more.

CPeck.jpg

On 06/01/2022 at 13:43, seaJane said:

"ADM 157/2708/30 - Description: Folios 303 - 307: Charles Peck, born: Gosport, Hampshire; Age at attestation: 14; Attested: Gosport; Joined in: 1911; Discharge reason: Invalided at RN Hospital Haslar; Discharge year: 1917."

His ADM 159 ledger record does not give the reason for invaliding but the above ADM 157 should have his discharge papers which will state the reason. I say "should" because it depends on how badly his ADM 157 papers have been weeded by TNA. Some sets of papers have been decimated.

Thanks Horatio! I will see if my friend going to Kew in February has any space on his order form.

(Also thanks to Neil and Roger, of course.)