The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Photograph - B Company, Royal Military College, September 1914

mrfrank

5 hours ago, mrfrank said:

I recently purchased a copy of ‘The Royal Military College Record’ for April 1917 in which (amongst lots of other good information regarding both RMC & Staff College organisation, staff and courses) there is a list of RMC SNCOs who had commissioned since Aug 1914. 

CSM Albert Edward Worrall who appears in this image was commissioned on 6th March 1915 and his MiC has a qualifying date for Gallipoli of March 1915 and also serving with the Royal Fusiliers and RAF. Military Cross winner.
May 1915 Army List has him with 3rd KOSB.

May 1916 AL has him attached from KOSB and serving as Adjutant of 26th RF.  

In March 1915 his substantive rank would have been colour sergeant, but holding the appointment of company sergeant major.  In July 1915 all such men, providing that they had a 1st class Army certificate of education, and confirmation of their continued appointment by commanding officers, were elevated to the new rank of warrant officer second class.

Edited by FROGSMILE

You know I find it hard to resist doing a side by side comparison so please indulge me :)

Jasper Searle LLoyd.

JasperSearleLloydpanelv1.png.8fb5ab863964b83da7653233de1620d5.png

and Albert Edward Worrall - I've tried to adjust for the camera distortion on the 1914 image but that knocks on to the hand size.

AlbertEdwardWorrallpanelv1.png.c7f6fd36e7987434f741aa73a84fdd92.png

No new intellectual property is claimed to have been produced for either side by side comparison, and all image rights remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

On 10/04/2023 at 12:36, PRC said:

You know I find it hard to resist doing a side by side comparison so please indulge me :)

Jasper Searle LLoyd.

JasperSearleLloydpanelv1.png.8fb5ab863964b83da7653233de1620d5.png

and Albert Edward Worrall - I've tried to adjust for the camera distortion on the 1914 image but that knocks on to the hand size.

AlbertEdwardWorrallpanelv1.png.c7f6fd36e7987434f741aa73a84fdd92.png

No new intellectual property is claimed to have been produced for either side by side comparison, and all image rights remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter. I don't think Jasper is a match with the corporal. And he was never an nco as far as we're aware.

Worrall looks like a perfect match.

43 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Hi Peter. I don't think Jasper is a match with the corporal. And he was never an nco as far as we're aware.

Not a problem Chris - the side by sides are just to make it easier to make a call, and I'm not seeing much of a likeness either. I suspect Mike ( @mrfrank ) will need to look again at the Lloyd identified in the legend underneath his course picture.

The stripes simply relate to the course at Sandhurst and reflects those who have been given additional responsibilities. As Jasper was selected for service with the Indian Army after completing the course and being commissioned, I would not be surprised that if any picture came to light of him at Sandhurst he may well be wearing a stripe or three !

Cheers,
Peter

58 minutes ago, PRC said:

Not a problem Chris - the side by sides are just to make it easier to make a call, and I'm not seeing much of a likeness either. I suspect Mike ( @mrfrank ) will need to look again at the Lloyd identified in the legend underneath his course picture.

The stripes simply relate to the course at Sandhurst and reflects those who have been given additional responsibilities. As Jasper was selected for service with the Indian Army after completing the course and being commissioned, I would not be surprised that if any picture came to light of him at Sandhurst he may well be wearing a stripe or three !

Cheers,
Peter

Well said Peter, you’re absolutely right, he’s merely a cadet corporal.  From memory there were three grades of responsibility that could be achieved by cadets at that time, cadet corporal, cadet sergeant, and cadet colour sergeant.  They were highly prestigious, temporary ‘appointments’, and indicated a cadet likely to appear in the top quartile of his intake.