The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bit of a puzzle - Sgt.Henry Hill

Steve789

1 hour ago, Steve789 said:

just to add to the dates, i did find another document this morning that stated his DoB as 15th Jan 1898 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7579/images/ons_d19824az-0440?pId=46369367 , at least they all agree on 1898 i suppose!!

Same the records most likely got destroyed during ww2 :( Is there a printed copy of the war dairy or a suggestion on the best books for the history of the 10th Hampshires during the time? I did find this ebook on amazon but would prefer something i could hold :)

Here's the photos of the other soldiers, again, i have absolutely no idea who they are or where they were taken, but given Henry history it may well be from his battalion? 1 and 3 must have at least been from the same group as the tree is the same one!

And as they seem to be of interest, here's links to the high resolution scans  :)

3 Sergeant on hill

Unknown soldier 1

Unknown soldier 2

Unknown soldier 3

Unknown_soilder_ww1_2.jpg

Unknown_soilder_ww1_3.jpg

Unknown_soilder_ww1.jpg

These are such great photos.  The lowermost shows rank stripes worn with the battalion’s X above, although unfortunately none of the men’s right arms are viewed at a good angle.  I especially like the clear view of the common practice whereby two of them wear belt AND braces.  Issued braces (aka suspenders) had no elastic in them (rubber was expensive) and so were quite restrictive and when undertaking physical work it was common to shrug them off and rely on the belt to secure the high-waisted trousers/shorts.  The belts are what we now call ‘stable belts’, but they were common in the military then as ‘money’ or ‘ditty’ belts, as they often included a pocket in which loose change, tobacco, or even a pocket watch could be secured.

Edited by FROGSMILE

thanks for the help folks! I've ordered a few books on the 10ths history so even if i dont know exactly what he was doing when during his time there, at least i'll have a better idea :)

Glad the other photos were of interest to!

• 2 weeks later...

just to close this off fully for those interested, found this little gem folded away in an old photo album from the other side of the family!

So he did join the royal sussex's first before moving over to the hampshire regiment :)

img20220202_08572730.jpg