The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Sniper Mask variation

KaiserChicken

So i was browsing through the internet looking for interesting faceshields and protection for the m16 Stahlhelm and came across this picture. Im especially interested in this „Elephant mask“ looking  faceshield. It looks a bit like the german snipermask but it has round eyeholes and dos not have a head harness. Also the source noted that this was supposed to be a snipermask. I think it looks a bit to crude. What is you opinion?

FD2EE7F0-B92F-4925-BC44-08071D834940.jpeg

KC,

Have a run through this book,

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublications/Helmets_and_Body_Armor_in_Modern_Warfare

by Bashford Dean, Curator of Arms & Armour in the 1920's.

It discusses, and shows photos, of helmets & armor of the major combatants of the Great War.

Regards,

JMB

KC,

In the photo you have posted the iron head protection is, unfortunately, incorrectly displayed.  It is not designed to be used with the body armour or steel helmet but rather to be bolted to the side of the Infanterieschild 1915.  I suppose the shield with head protection could be fixed in a trench and used to protect an observer but it was originally designed to be used as a protection for advancing infantry.  The disadvantage of the  shield and head protection was that the total weight was 18kg so not very practical.  Krupp is said to have produced 9,000 of these head protections but few seem to exit today as I suspect they were, given the metal shortage, mostly scrapped during the war.

I haven't noted a reference in Bashford Deane's book.  The above information and photo are taken from Tankograd - World War One No.1002 - Sturmtruppen by Oliver Richter.

Michael.   

DSC04987.JPG