The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

King's Shilling

PFF

To give you an idea of modern values, it now costs 20 pence to spend a penny at Euston Station, which means an ordinary pee now costs four shillings (£0/4/- = 48 old pennies)

There's inflation for you - it now costs 48p to spend a penny :lol:

Now for coins that weren’t in circulation and some nick names.

The Guinea (1/1/-) was replaced by the Sovereign, in 1817, but was still used for prices: as in a 2 Guinea suit.

The Half Guinea (10/6) was replaced by the Half Sovereign, as above.

Bob = Shilling.

Tanner = 6d.

3d was pronounced thruppence

Btw ‘to spend a penny’ = to go to the rest room.

And of course the slang 'thruppenny bit', which obviously implied spending slightly more than a penny in the rest room :lol::lol: Toilet humour - can't beat it ;)

Interestingly, I was sitting in the faculty lounge one afternoon and somebody was talking about the present unpleasentness and the phrase was used by someone about the reservists' plight "they took the king's shilling ... didn't they?"

I almost fell off my chair. Having done my work in the early 18th C army (BA) I can tell you the shilling was often a ploy to get men in ... often, when drunk, they'd take the shilling for some more spirits and once the shilling was passed, you were in.

Many Col and Lt Cols made some fair bit of money by billing the gov't for shillings given that were for fake enlistees ... however ... but at gov't muster, once a year or so, they had to account for shillings billed to recruits gained ... (not to mention all the upkeep expenses billed) ... Often they'd just dress up a fence post in the rear ranks with a uniform so from the front, it would look like the man ... these military scare-crows were called "Faggots" ...

• 2 years later...

What about 1 1/2 pence? known as 3 hapence. I remember buying ice lollies from local shop in the 60s for 3 hapence each. I remember they were not very big though.

Andy

"But on Saturday I'm willing

If you'll only take the shilling,

To make a man of any one of you!"

great recruiting song from the startof the war.

OK, I've got a silver groat from the Henry VIII period. What was it's relation to the Pound?

A groat, which was first minted in England during Edward I's reign, was worth fourpence. So 60 of them to the pound.

Not sure if it's exclusively Australian slang but a sixpence piece was also known as a "Zac"

When I started as an apprentice with Hawker Aircraft in 1962 my indentures stated that my first years pay would be 4 guineas a week.

There used to be a cheap chain of tailors whose suits cost £2-50, hence their nickname 'The Fifty Bob Tailors'.

Philsr

I can remember my first pay packet as an apprentice at Marconi's in Chelmsford was £1 6 shillings and four pence. Happy days!

John

But after you'd taken the shilling, you could get out by paying "Smart money" (a guinea = 21 shillings, i.e. a pound over and above the refund of the shilling. But from an old song called the Collier Recruit (sung very nicely by Kate Rusby) it seems that if you took the oath (usually before the magistrate) i.e. "kissed the book" you were beyond redemption.

I asked (Jokingly) about the shilling recently when my son enlisted, was told (also jokingly I hope) that Army cutbacks meant they were no longer able to afford it.

Neil

Hello Chums,

Just caught this thread... boy-oh-boy.. does it bring back memories of a pocket full of old Pennies!

Anyway, back to the topic in hand. A question was asked if the 'Kings Shilling' is still given today? Ans: Yes, but in principle only. SAs soon as the soldier signs upon the dotted line at his attestation, he is said to have taken the 'King's Shilling'.

Interestingly, I think you will all like to read a passage in reference to this topic which I came across a few months ago. The passage was in connection with a little bit of research I was carrying out on the American War of Independence. Enjoy....

To Take the 'King's Shilling'.

This term is said to have eventuated from the practice of Press Ganging. The regiments would send out Sergeants, Soldiers and drummers into surrounding towns and villages to recruit. Often these recruits were provided by less than scrupulous Tavern and Inn owners who received a bounty for their customers who were sleeping of the effects of alcohol. When the poor unfortunate recruit awoke he would find a shilling piece in his hand or pockets to prove he had willingly taken his Majesties money and accepted enlistment.

The process in reality was quite a lengthy one; your first contact was of course with a member of the recruiting party generally the Sergeant as the Officer's job was generally to keep an eye on the money and to smooth over any problems with the local authorities and magistrates. You would then haggle over the price of the bounty to be paid, and once a bargain was struck it is then that the recruit received his Shilling. Traditionally this was turned into ale at the earliest opportunity to celebrate the deal. After this it's off to the Surgeon for a medical then over to a Magistrate or justice of the peace, who attested the recruit by administering the oath. From this point on the recruit is subject to Military Law under the Mutiny Act. The next step in peacetime would be to march the fellow up to the headquarters where he was accepted or rejected by the Commanding Officer. In wartime or when the regiment was on overseas station it would be to the depot staffed by Officers drawn from the half pay list. From here if the Officer in charged thought the recruit suitable he would be sent to the training depot for training and exercise before being sent overseas. On arrival they would be again inspected and if approved by Field Officers the regiment would accept them.

Seph

Hi

When i enlisted in the mid 60s I was told the shilling was included in my first pay. But I was given the copy of the Bible I used to take the oath.

LANCER

What exactly was the "King's Shilling"?

Were all new recruits given this?

What was the monetary value?

Is it still given today?

My Gt Gt Grandfather enlisted with the 40th Regiment of Foot, 2nd Somersetshires

in Tavistock Devon on 7th December 1846.

He received an 'Enlistment Bounty' of 3 pounds and 10 shillings.

The person 'Attesting to the recruit' received 2 shillings and 6 pence.

His Pay was "One Shilling per Week" The Kings Shilling.

serving and kept by the King for a shilling a week.

When discharged after 21 years service, almost 14 years in Australia and New Zealand, he had gained 5 Good Conduct points

each point entitled him to an additional 1 penny per week. So at discharge

he was earning 1 shilling and 5 pence per week.

That has always been my understanding of "Taking the Kings shilling"

When i joined the army in 1993 i was given £10 after swearing my oath at the army careers office. :D This was i was told the modern version of the kings shilling! B)

Imagine my surprise when i got my first wage slip in basic training and had been deducted the £10!! :o

OK, I've got a silver groat from the Henry VIII period. What was it's relation to the Pound?

Some groats might have still been circulating in WWI, they were last minted in Victoria's reign.

A shilling a day was still Tommy's basic pay at the start of WWI. One pound one shilling (a guinea) after 3 weeks,

Some groats might have still been circulating in WWI, they were last minted in Victoria's reign.

A shilling a day was still Tommy's basic pay at the start of WWI. One pound one shilling (a guinea) after 3 weeks,

Taking the question at face value, a groat was four pennies. which would be 1.57...new pence. So, £1.57 would be a hundred groats.