The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Naval Officer. Can we decipher the signature?

high wood

This a tough one for sure, I am unable to locate a match in the Navy Lists I have.

But what I can tell you from his photo ( & it's a very good photo) he is likely an Engineering  officer, Civil branch.   Photo taken prior to 1915,  in which year the Engineering branch moved from Civil to Military branch & adopted the Executive curl above their gold sleeve rings.

Also the gold lace on their coocked hats changed to Miliary branch bullion, a similar change in their eppaulettes also taking place.

13 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

This a tough one for sure, I am unable to locate a match in the Navy Lists I have.

But what I can tell you from his photo ( & it's a very good photo) he is likely an Engineering  officer, Civil branch.   Photo taken prior to 1915,  in which year the Engineering branch moved from Civil to Military branch & adopted the Executive curl above their gold sleeve rings.

Also the gold lace on their coocked hats changed to Miliary branch bullion, a similar change in their eppaulettes also taking place.

Hi RNCVR. I have just checked the photographic studios, Charles Debenham, 222 West End Lane, NW and they were operating in 1907 so, as you note, this may well be taken before 1915. 

Could well be Alf.  I thought the P was an R, perhaps his 2nd initial

Thank you everyone, I am convinced that Allan Pettman is the officer in the photograph. He is on the 1911 Census as a retired Engineer Lieutenant  R.N. living in Finchley Road, Hampstead.

His service papers show that he was out in the Far East before the Great War and was invalided out of the service due to a serious illness.  He volunteered for service during the Great War and seems to have served at Dartmouth for most of the war,