The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with AIF uniforms/badges indentification

tankengine888

Hello!
This has driven me crazy forever!
I know there are 2 uniforms, first and second pattern AIF uniforms! But I think there are a variety of uniforms because of manufacturing and so on, but i'd like to know how to spot differences! Examples of tunic
[Pvt G J Giles uniform]
Judging by the green and black buttons [and 1916 embarkation], i'd guess a Second Pattern
RELAWM04500.003
BUT!
Look at this
{said to be c.1914}
The uniform looks a brown coloured, and browner buttons! So I'd say First pattern uniform
REL/03816
But I reach stuff like this
[Tpr R R Clayton]
He has a mix of First pattern [buttons] and Second pattern [colour]
Date of enlistment for this man was November 1915
REL/10351
Just more examples
REL/08518.001
REL/03816
NOTE: ALL SAID TO BE MADE BY "Commonwealth Government Clothing Factory"
Credit: AWM

Onto my second question

Badges! 
Wondering about this wound stripe, 5 blue? [Lieutenant F B Stafford, 2 Light Horse Machine Gun Squadron]
image.png.1822ec47df7412a5b014496bfaed8719.png

Isn't he supposed to wear the rising sun on his "collar tag" instead of crossed guns? It seems like there's a rising sun with crossed guns there?
[Lieutenant F B Stafford, 2 Light Horse Machine Gun Squadron]
image.png.07591175f9230c06d6ee0f5ea1e6dd80.png
RELAWM16579
Fair bit cut off due to me realizing answers were straight infront of me
oh well, such is life.
Cheers for any response!

Edited by tankengine888

You can learn an awful lot by carrying out a search within the forum for “AIF uniform” and then reading through all the threads that come up.  There are also zillions of posts in the forum that explain the criterion for wound stripes and overseas service stripes.  It’s quite good to use the search facility within the forum for generic things like these, as otherwise the repetition can get a bit tedious.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

You can learn an awful lot by carrying out a search within the forum for “AIF uniform” and then reading through all the threads that come up.  There are also zillions of posts in the forum that explain the criterion for wound stripes and overseas service stripes.  It’s quite good to use the search facility within the forum for generic things like these, as otherwise the repetition can get a bit tedious.

True, my bad, haven't used the forums in awhile, I'll try to find the info I require, and edit it out to what I need!
Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

True, my bad, haven't used the forums in awhile, I'll try to find the info I require, and edit it out to what I need!
Thanks again!

If there’s anything unanswered please do come back with it, but there really is already lots of excellent and detailed information in the forum and it’s good to practise becoming competent at using the search facility.  It’s useful for lots of things.

Edited by FROGSMILE