The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

POW camp at Griessen 1914/18

Guest Writered

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any way of finding out where a soldier was held POW? My mother told me her uncle was a POW somewhere in Germany but I was never able to find out any further details. The only story she remembered was that great uncle Ivor had to live largely on potato peelings.

• 3 weeks later...
Simon

My grandfather was at Giessen, so I would be very interested to see the postcard posted.

I have finally dug out the postcard of Giessen Camp from my great grandfather.

Regards

Simon

post-1722-1129401510.jpg

I have just finished reading 'Three Times and Out' by Nellie L McClung. It is a story as told by Private Simmons, a Canadian, who spent time a Giessen amongst other places. The book is free on the web at www.gutenberg.org/files/12880/12880-h/12880-h.htm

Doug

• 2 years later...

Malte,

Could you email the 6 photos of Giessen POW camp that you posted in Aug 2005 to me, I have tried to download then but no luck. I have just found out that my grandfather was a POW there from 1915.

I have tried to PM you but your box is full.

I would be interested in any other information you have on the camp.

Do you know if there were any Russian POW's there? My cousin has a photo of our grandfather "squaring" up to, what what the family remembers is, a Russian soldier in in the same camp.

I see from replies to other requests etc that some of the POW's in Giessen worked in salt mines, do you know if they were any coal mines in that area? My father remembers my grandfather saying that he worked in coal mines. Looking at the location of the camp I would say that there no coal mines down in that area of Germany, he might have got coal mixed up with salt.

My email is bootsiehse@hotmail.com

Thanks and regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Prisoners registered to Giessen in October 1918

French Officers 2

French Men 19 833

Russian Men 18

Belgian Men 825

British Officers 2

British Men 5 164

Rumanian Men 1