The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Identification if WW1 era Canadian Artillery cap

Frank54

Good day all,

I am told this is a WW1 era cap, but this is the first time I see one with leather on the visor.  Is this really a WW1 era cap?

Regards

CEFD3D5B-6E64-4192-8F8B-78A343E32F28.jpeg

2 hours ago, Frank54 said:

Good day all,

I am told this is a WW1 era cap, but this is the first time I see one with leather on the visor.  Is this really a WW1 era cap?

Regards

CEFD3D5B-6E64-4192-8F8B-78A343E32F28.jpeg

It’s unusual to trim the edge of the peak with leather but relatively common to do so with the cuffs of service dress jackets so not impossible.  Many officers favoured using their more worn uniform as trench wear so I suppose it’s possible that such a cap was worn within those bounds.  I have never seen one in wear in a contemporary photo though so it’s best to be cautious.

I am by no means an expert on Army caps, but the leather on this cap does not look like 1WW vintage to me, its appears quite shiny,  1WW period leather should be somewhat crazed at least.  The cap looks more to be of 2WW vintage to me also.

On 14/05/2022 at 16:11, RNCVR said:

I am by no means an expert on Army caps, but the leather on this cap does not look like 1WW vintage to me, its appears quite shiny,  1WW period leather should be somewhat crazed at least.  The cap looks more to be of 2WW vintage to me also.

Yes that’s an excellent point Bryan.  I suppose at best it might be a circa WW1 cap that had a damaged peak retrospectively fitted with leather to mask a frayed edging.

Edited by FROGSMILE

There was a regiment that wore SD with leather trim, can't remember which, also the high front and crusher sides looks WWII imo

Edited by Jerry B

• 3 months later...

Late to this thread but definitely not WW1 likely interwar or early WW2. Chinstrap is too big. The shade of material has the brown shade of Post WW1 caps( not a definitive indication but).