The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Uniform + Regiment help please

BillyH

Photo attached. What is the rank of this officer, also his regiment, and approximate year (no date or i.d. on the photo). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BillyH.

gwf2.jpg.199ff090f173e87e51d9b8925487f626.jpg

53 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Photo attached. What is the rank of this officer, also his regiment, and approximate year (no date or i.d. on the photo). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BillyH.

gwf2.jpg.199ff090f173e87e51d9b8925487f626.jpg

It’s a very unusual uniform Billy, and I’d date to to around 1910+/-  The bullion wire laced peak and hanging sword knot (as opposed to knotted tight) are features of ‘field rank’, and that is borne out by the crown and star (the latter only just visible) upon his shoulder strap indicating the rank of lieutenant colonel.  I don’t recognise his cap and collar insignia, or the piped style chest and skirt pocket flaps of his frock, but it’s definitely not a British Imperial regiment from what I can see.  It seems likely to me to be a uniform of one of the larger Dominions, either Canada, Australia, or South Africa.  The pale coloured band to his cap is a clue.

NB.  The cap badge appears to be shaped as a shallow pointed star, but with quite large voids at its centre.  There is also something literally quite unique apparently superimposed over the centre of the peak on his forage cap.  I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Fascinating information FS thanks for that.

I posted the photo for a friend so I will see if I can find out anything more. The only things that I can add at the moment is that the photograph was taken at a studio in Liverpool and is believed to be their great great grandfather James McCabe born in 1871 at Birkenhead (next door to Liverpool). He looks to be about 40 in the photo? so he could have been involved in the Great War.

BillyH.

79158474_gwf2.jpg.cd0cfd2c647e774b1e6bbc13c733aabf.jpg

Edited by BillyH

8 hours ago, BillyH said:

Fascinating information FS thanks for that.

I posted the photo for a friend so I will see if I can find out anything more. The only things that I can add at the moment is that the photograph was taken at a studio in Liverpool and is believed to be their great great grandfather James McCabe born in 1871 at Birkenhead (next door to Liverpool). He looks to be about 40 in the photo? so he could have been involved in the Great War.

BillyH.

79158474_gwf2.jpg.cd0cfd2c647e774b1e6bbc13c733aabf.jpg

It’s extremely intriguing Billy, and not the sort of uniform I see very often.  I think it was probably taken around the time of the King George V Coronation when a great many Dominion and Colonial units sent small delegations in their best uniforms.  There was quite an array.  I shall have a look later through the images I have to see if I can find anything similar.  Liverpool would have been the port of arrival and departure for those travelling from the Americas and then a train down to London, so that might perhaps be connected.

A167F59A-A58F-4346-B57B-6E42F76ED29C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

52 minutes ago, CountryJohn said:

Could the cap badge be Canada Militia?P1400657.jpeg.7292d54ab019c743640655716c2c4abe.jpeg

There appear to me to be the points of a star protruding left and right from the main body of the badge, which is a feature missing from the insignia you’ve shown John.  I do think though that it is very probably either, a militia, or volunteer unit from Canada, or one of the other Dominions.

Edited by FROGSMILE