The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What is this POW uniform?

knittinganddeath

Very sad news regarding Lorenz Sahner's grave in Lomen. As is common in many other European countries, graves are recycled here, and in the case of Lorenz it happened in May 1946, so almost 29 years after he was buried there. This is a normal timeline for reuse. The county says that there is nothing left to indicate he was once there, so no photos are forthcoming.

I suppose I should have expected this news, but I find it surprisingly crushing.

Edited by knittinganddeath

27 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

Very sad news regarding Lorenz Sahner's grave in Lomen. As is common in many other European countries, graves are recycled here, and in the case of Lorenz it happened in May 1946, so almost 29 years after he was buried there. This is a normal timeline for reuse. The county says that there is nothing left to indicate he was once there, so no photos are forthcoming.

I suppose I should have expected this news, but I find it surprisingly crushing.

Perhaps a simple memorial could be arranged in the church, or maybe more acceptably, on the cemetery wall.  As he seems to be the only POW death during an almost forgotten chapter of the war it would be a historical reminder too. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Description of his funeral from the Lagerbote:

In the cruel tragedy of fate, only a few days before the fulfilment of his fondest wish, our comrade, the grenadier Lorenz Sahner from Bildstock, district of Saarbrücken, passed away on Saturday, 22 September, in the prime of life, only 37 years old. A heart attack suddenly put an end to his life. After 18 months of suffering in Russian captivity, he was exchanged because of a heart condition. How happy he was: now he was going to Norway, closer to home! A new hope germinated. Then, shortly after his arrival, the pale guest came to his side during a severe bout of pneumonia. But he turned him away. Now he had just recovered from a hot fever, when the pale guest appeared and did not leave. He too died a hero's death for his fatherland in a hero's dream that is all the greater for being silent. In the bright hall below, the bier stood under the rich ornaments of autumn.

The priest of the Catholic parish from Kristiania, the bishop's secretary Father Günther, celebrated the requiem mass, and the representative of the Norwegian authorities, Dr. Lyche, spoke warm words of remembrance. He vividly described the always friendly, quiet nature of the deceased. "He was a good man, and that says it all". A silent prayer was said for the deceased. Then the coffin was lifted onto the carriage, and accompanied by a large funeral cortege, our Lorenz Sahner started his last journey through the lovely valley of the Slidrefjord to the cemetery of Lomen. There he now rests on a lofty mountain height above the green, flowing lake in the wreath of the silent forests. There he rests in the pure light of the heights. The free mountain wind plays around the fresh hill, and from the great road it carries fluttering sounds: "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden!"

The municipality's protocols say that he was buried at Lomen churchyard -- so probably somewhere in the picture!

• 1 year later...

Bitte meldet euch bei mir.

Ich hätte gerne das komplette Manuskript zu Interniertenlager in Norwegen. Danke.

20240625194205_001.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the 'Great War Forum' Speichersdorf,

your post has been approved but please be aware this is an English language forum.

I will alert @knittinganddeath to your post and ask for their help in this please.

I do not speak or read German so your question is lost on me.

Google translate may not be accurate?

Courtesy of Google Translate.

Please contact me.

I would like the complete manuscript on internment camps in Norway. Thanks.

Regards,

Bob.

46 minutes ago, Speichersdorf said:

Ich hätte gerne das komplette Manuskript zu Interniertenlager in Norwegen. Danke.

Ehhh....thank you for your interest but it is really quite modest as I only wrote for my blog. / Danke für deine Interesse, aber es ist nur einen Blogeintrag (auf Englisch):

A different article about the crash of Zeppelin L20 near Stavanger -- the men who were retrieved inside Norwegian territorial waters were interned while the ones who were retrieved outside were allowed to return to Germany. Some of their names were mentioned in the Norwegian press:

@JWK compiled a list of all the known German POWs who came to Norway in this post. Your man appears there, so we did find him in the Verlustlisten!

The internees in Denmark and Norway wrote a newsletter, available for free at the Danish Royal Library. Much of the information in my article is drawn from these newsletters: https://soeg.kb.dk/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma99122908294005763&context=L&vid=45KBDK_KGL:KGL&lang=da&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&adaptor=Local Search Engine&tab=Everything&query=any,contains,lagerbote&offset=0

Hey all!

I'm still alive! Just enjoying my time in Germany!

I believe the file in that post shows only the internees in Löken, so I'm uploading the one in Hoevelfaasen Hovelsasen

All I have on Bernhard von Bernuth is his birthdate, his deathdate, and his regiment.

Further research I leave to the Norwegian/German authorities.

Ich glaube, die Datei in diesem Beitrag zeigt nur die Internierten in Löken, daher lade ich die in Hoevelfaasen Hovelsasen hoch

Alles, was ich über Bernhard von Bernuth habe, ist sein Geburtsdatum, sein Todesdatum und sein Regiment.

Weitere Nachforschungen überlasse ich den norwegischen/deutschen Behörden.

Norway1.jpg.9b4fa4f2080765be4dd753745bbe86ef.jpgNorway2.jpg.941f9a4cb745695518c34d134f0e29e2.jpg

Edited by JWK