The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

M16 Helmet identification

Hello Everyone 

This helmet has been in my family for many years. I played with it as a kid and as well as my father who did in his childhood. I have a couple questions first off should I get replacment chin strap and liner for it or leave it the way it is. I plan on having it on display  .And anything I would do to it I would want to be correct for the helmet material colors and such. It appears that it has a soldiers name inside it but i cant read it .Dont know if there is any value in it or not but want it to look nice on display I wont be getting rid of it  

thumbnail_IMG_1089.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1090.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1091.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1092.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1093.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1094.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1095.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1096.jpg

That looks to be an original 1918 period camouflage paintwork to the exterior, in which case I would leave it untouched as this is particularly desirable to helmet collectors. To replace the liner you would have to remove the split pins holding the metal band in place and these are very easily broken, and even if successful a reproduction liner might even detract from the helmets value. Best find something else for children to play with! :)

Stal MOD 16, made in 1917, iron strapping that replaces the leather strapping from 1917, typical Ludendorf camouflage, do not put anything in place, leave it as it is, especially not give it to children to play with, the value as it is there with us between 1000 and 1200 euros """more or less $1400"""

Agree with the comments above. Putting a reproduction liner and chinstrap would actually reduce the value as everything is nice and original as is.

It is a nice late war example

PS also agree with the Uhlan, would not suggest letting the kids use it as a play thing.

On 11/07/2022 at 04:58, le ulhan said:

Stal MOD 16, made in 1917, iron strapping that replaces the leather strapping from 1917, typical Ludendorf camouflage, do not put anything in place, leave it as it is, especially not give it to children to play with, the value as it is there with us between 1000 and 1200 euros """more or less $1400"""

Yes M16, Made 1917 or later, Autumn 1918 Camouflage. Much sought after helmet by collectors. 

The camouflage and opposite depending on the terrain, I have some, here is one of my ammunition boxes with the same camouflage as this helmet.

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1636 (1).JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG