The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

what turkish bayonet do i have

cowboyhunter

wonder if anyone can help, my friend has had to go into a care home and is wanting some funds he has asked me to sell this turkish bayonet I have looked on here and found one that looks something like it a Weyersberg 1312 ? this means nothing to me but it was posted by trajan, as I know nothing about the bayonet where he got it from etc, he nor I have not a clue to the value so some pointers would be very well appreciated. also if it's know which battle it could have been used. this maybe a lot to ask for a newbie but if you don't ask you don't know.

many thanks

the full lengh is 23" the blade is 18"

I have enclosed some photos

20220720_102509.jpg

20220720_102137.jpg

20220720_102100.jpg

20220720_102107.jpg

20220720_102156.jpg

20220720_102126.jpg

20220720_102301.jpg

M1890 turkish bayonet as mentioned 1312 dated, about Weyersberg ,Kirschbaum & Co,  it could be when You have comparing material. 1894 dating around could be already for the M1893 modell rifle. Big plus is that piece didnt went per shortage or refurbishment and remained in origin condition with all markings. Serial number of rifle should be 65598 when i read correctly the first digit ?

Edited by AndyBsk

having a look round most of the posts on this very knowledgeable site I have tried to compare the makers marks with others I have found (my eyes hurt now) I wonder if the bayonet is made by simson, suhl if that is the correct way to spell it, it has the Sultan's tughra on the handle is it Sultan Abdulhamid II if so does this mean anything I hope Iam on the right path with identifying the bayonet.

like I have said previously my friend has had to go in a care home he has memory problems and would like to sell it but I don't want him to be ripped off, two people have asked me about it but iam trying to get a ball park figure of the value.

he also gave me a cane sword and a fencing foil still looking into those.

I believe Trajan here will help You with maker, which i assume is WKC as correctly deciphered in first run, but You will see. The prices could be looked at internet, bayonet when with scabbard should be over 200 probably, even here not in extra condition, wout scabbard probably over 100.

thank you for replying i will wait and see if Trajan replies about the maker and thanks for the price i have looked on the internet but iam still confused as to the maker.

As already mentioned this is a Weyersberg Kirschbaum, Solingen manufactured Turkish M1890 bayonet dated 1312 (so about 1894) 

As Andy said, ones of this date were made to match the Turkish M1893 contract rifles made by Waffenfabrik Mauser, Obendorf.

A nice looking example in original unmodified condition with all the standard markings ... however overall condition is only Fair and it is without Scabbard. Price very much depends on Region and Marketplace.

Cheers, SS

I would only clean the white paint on press button and oil the blade and metall parts. as it have long period patina on the surface.

9 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

As already mentioned this is a Weyersberg Kirschbaum, Solingen manufactured Turkish M1890 bayonet dated 1312 (so about 1894) 

As Andy said, ones of this date were made to match the Turkish M1893 contract rifles made by Waffenfabrik Mauser, Obendorf.

A nice looking example in original unmodified condition with all the standard markings ... however overall condition is only Fair and it is without Scabbard. Price very much depends on Region and Marketplace.

Cheers, SS

thanks for all the info i can now tell him what it is.

2 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

I would only clean the white paint on press button and oil the blade and metall parts. as it have long period patina on the surface.

i will give it a clean like you have suggested

so thank you  both very much for the information i have gained this will help to sell the bayonet for him

I have just been made a offer for the bayonet of £40 which seems on the cheap side, does anyone know where I could possibly get a better price iam uk based

Thanks

52 minutes ago, cowboyhunter said:

I have just been made a offer for the bayonet of £40 which seems on the cheap side, does anyone know where I could possibly get a better price iam uk based

Thanks

Was that from a militaria dealer? If so that will be dealer price, not full retail.

you have a couple of options:

- sell it to a dealer (which will be less than full retail price)

- sell it via a militaria forum or milweb etc for a price you want for it (may not sell)

- put in with an auction house (either with or without a reserve) and let the market set the price 

14 hours ago, MrEd said:

Was that from a militaria dealer? If so that will be dealer price, not full retail.

you have a couple of options:

- sell it to a dealer (which will be less than full retail price)

- sell it via a militaria forum or milweb etc for a price you want for it (may not sell)

- put in with an auction house (either with or without a reserve) and let the market set the price 

thanks for replying

the price was from a private collector

and I will look into the other two options.

I have just seen a classified page on here so I will give it a try.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, cowboyhunter said:

just read the classified page you can't sell bladed items by the looks

No, I believe that’s due to the VCR act 

Try milweb